News

Firefighters douse fire at their own station

Station has smoke alarm but no sprinklers

If there's one message for the public that preoccupies Fire Chief Harold Schapelhouman of the Menlo Park Fire Protection District, it is the importance of equipping homes and buildings with sprinkler systems that spray a room in the event of a fire.

So it was with hints of irony that Chief Schapelhouman, in a telephone interview, related the tale of a small early morning mattress fire on Wednesday, Aug. 6, in a bedroom at fire station No. 6 at Oak Grove Avenue and Hoover Street, a building not equipped with sprinklers.

"Bad things happen to good people," Chief Schapelhouman said with a barely detectible ironic note. "They were really lucky that they caught it."

The firefighters left the station at 3:36 a.m. to attend to someone with a severe diabetes reaction. Because the victim recovered and chose not to go to the hospital, the call was about an hour shorter than usual and brought the firefighters back to the station and a faint smell of smoke at about 4:25 a.m., Chief Schapelhouman said.

A search for something burning outside turned up nothing, but when a smoke alarm went off inside, they looked and found a smoldering mattress in one of the bedrooms.


Rapid departure

A firefighter responding rapidly to the medical call had apparently bumped a magnetically attached reading lamp on his way out of bed, Chief Schapelhouman explained. "He didn't notice it, rushing to get out of the room," the chief said.

An incandescent bulb in the lamp burned its way through the sheet and mattress pad and into the mattress. Fire investigators will likely recommend avoiding the use of incandescent bulbs because they get so hot, he said.

The fire station, built in the 1950s in an era before sprinkler systems, is due to be replaced in about a year, he said, adding: "We're not looking to speed that up" by burning down the dormitory area.

The new station will have sprinklers and likely a computerized system that turns off unnecessary electrical devices as the firefighters leave the station on a call, he said.

An Almanac reporter noted that the fire alert did not show up on the Web site firedispatch.com, which alerts online subscribers to emergencies in San Mateo County. Mr. Schapelhouman replied: "It never made it to firedispatch.com because it was something-burning-in-the-station.com."

Comments

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Mike Dayoub
a resident of another community
on Aug 7, 2008 at 9:25 am

Glad minimal damage. I'm developing a SmokeShutoff power strip designed to detect smoke and then shut off whatever is plugged into it. So if those firefighters were out on a call it would have turned off the lamp, maybe before flames erupted.

I've blogged on my SmokeShutoff.com website tons of fires my power strip could have prevented, including many fires caused by fallen lamps.

Sooner or later I'm going to find a manufacturer who recognizes the market and applications for this.

Mike Dayoub


 +   Like this comment
Posted by PA Resident
a resident of another community
on Aug 7, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Mike

Great idea. There would be a great market for these particularly in high tech offices which leave equipment running overnight for simulations, etc.

Good luck.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Brian
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Aug 8, 2008 at 7:55 am

Two words "three stooges". I see a promising career for him at the sheriffs office.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

WUE makes out-of-state tuition more affordable
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 2 comments | 2,668 views

Local picks on 2015 Michelin Bib Gourmand list
By Elena Kadvany | 1 comment | 2,601 views

Ode to Brussels Sprout
By Laura Stec | 14 comments | 2,256 views

Charter School Proposal Steeped In Unintended Consequences
By Erin Glanville | 38 comments | 1,514 views

Measure M-- I am not drinking Greenheartís expensive potion
By Martin Lamarque | 4 comments | 229 views