Prosecutors decide not to retry M-A coach

One conviction on battery will suffice, prosecutor says

San Mateo County prosecutors have decided not to pursue a retrial in the case of Kelly Weston, a former Menlo-Atherton High School assistant track coach convicted Dec. 11 of misdemeanor battery for pushing a boy. The jury had deadlocked on charges that Mr. Weston had also made criminal threats and had engaged in child cruelty, and prosecutors announced today that they would not seek to retry him on those charges.

Mr. Weston pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

The four-day jury trial, presided over by Superior Court Judge Robert Foiles, centered on an incident in which three Hispanic youth were playing outside Mr. Weston's trailer home in unincorporated Redwood City last May, and a soccer ball bounced against the wall of the home. According to prosecutors, he responded by coming out of his house, pushing one boy and making racially charged threats to all three.

"We feel that the court has sufficient (latitude) to sentence the defendant appropriately on the one count" of battery, Assistant District Attorney Karen Guidotti said in an interview.

A criminal conviction requires a unanimous jury. In Mr. Weston's case, a majority on the jury concluded that his actions and words were not motivated by racial prejudice, Ms. Guidotti said.

A probation report and sentencing hearing is set for Friday, Feb. 5, she said.

Mr. Weston could be fined up to $2,000 and spend up to six months in jail on the battery conviction, Ms. Guidotti said.

Mr. Weston remains free on $50,000 bail. He has declined to comment on the case.

Asked to comment on Mr. Weston's future at M-A, Sequoia Union High School District spokeswoman Bettylu Smith said that M-A "does not have plans to renew Mr. Weston's contract for the upcoming track season."

The boys -- two 12-year-olds and an 11-year old -- say the soccer ball struck the house by accident. Mr. Weston, 63, allegedly came out and told the kids that he hated them, that he hated "your kind" and Mexicans in general, and that he could "kill" them "right now," prosecutors said.

The children reported the exchange to their parents, who reported it to a deputy from the Sheriff's Office, who then interviewed the boys, prosecutors said.

A deputy who interviewed Mr. Weston said "some of the hate language that was charged, some of that was used in the interview," prosecutors said.

In the trial, prosecutor Brian Raft structured his case around testimony from the boys, the mother of two of the boys, a deputy sheriff, and the manager of the trailer park, who allegedly overheard some of the altercation, Ms. Guidotti said.

In defense, Mr. Weston's attorney Harriotte "Hallie" Aaron began with an "ear" witness who claimed to be talking on the phone with Mr. Weston during the altercation. But during cross examination, the witness could not say for certain on which day he was talking with Mr. Weston, Ms. Guidotti said.

M-A community members have come to Mr. Weston's defense, saying that the incident is out of character, and that he is "very, very wonderful" with kids, prosecutors said.

Mr. Weston coached at M-A "going on 40 years" and won the 2005-06 Coach's Honor Award from the Central Coast Section of the Peninsula Athletic League, he said in an e-mail to The Almanac.

Comments

+   Like this comment
Posted by Tricia 59
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Dec 14, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I don't believe a word of it. Mr. Weston is NOT a racist and these are total lies. What a tragedy! The same exact thing happened to my brother in 1986 in San Jose. Only the plaintiffs were in their 30's. 2 brothers. They harassed my brother throwing large rocks at his house on several occasions and when he came out one evening, they came on his property and assaulted him, but they were a different race, and told the police that my brother had attacked them. The concocted a story. They sued him and won a $125,000 judgement against my brother. The entire neighborhood knew the 2 fellows who attacked my brother, but the jury is not allowed to know many facts. Very sad for Mr. Weston.

Posted by Sad
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Dec 14, 2009 at 4:08 pm

What a travesty.

Posted by John
a resident of Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
on Dec 14, 2009 at 5:56 pm

This is example, yet again, of our legal system gone awry. I'm so glad the jury gave such attention to the accurate accounts of the kids, and that they and their parents are completely innocent in this incident. It reassures my confidence in our court system. If you have any doubts read the transcripts. It is very unfortunate that a man who has given so much of his time and energy have his career ended so abruptly. I am grateful to the dedication that Coach Kelly has had for students for the past 40 years. He deserves our thanks and appreciation.

Posted by erik
a resident of Woodside: other
on Dec 14, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Absolutely disgusting that our tax dollars are wasted on witch hunts like this. All we can do is pray for this man and vote the people who persecuted him out of office. I feel so angry and ill.

Posted by Bill
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Dec 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm

These kids and their family are guilty of the same thing they accused Mr. Weston of. I'm so glad our courts have time to use our tax dollars for cases like this when this situation probably could have been settled by talking it out. We are so quick to want cash to make us feel better and right a wrong. What a sad way for a coach being forced to end his career. I hope these kids and families feel "proud" of their actions.

Posted by Appalling
on Dec 15, 2009 at 12:07 am

Hopefully we can get another candidate next year to run against Stephen Wagstaffe for the District Attorney position. He has set the pace for the ultra-aggressive prosecution strategy that really has no rhyme or reason. Probably just to get his statistics up. This is one of the more atrocious things I've ever seen in my life. The judge should have had the courage to dismiss the suit, I would have. These are OUR TAX DOLLARS, folks, and they are being misused in an appalling fashion. When I was a kid I got yelled at for being in someone's yard, and it scared the !$(* out of me, but I can assure you NO ONE GOT ARRESTED or criminally prosecuted. Doesn't anyone have anything better to do? Only in America. If I went to any other country and pulled this on their citizens, I'd be sent packing (if I were lucky).

Posted by Andy W
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:30 am

I am glad that justice has been served. It doesn't matter how many friends you have or how popular you are... threatening people (especially in a racist tirade) is wrong.

Posted by James
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:15 am

This appears to be a case of which story do you believe. I can't imagine that these kids had not tormented Mr. Weston as well as others in the past. Did Mr. Weston really say those words? Only 3 people know for sure. Do you think this could have been talked through instead of going to court? Our society has become too quick to take every thing to court these days. I dare say that not all the truth has been told in this situation. What a sad way for a coach to have his career terminated.

Posted by Susan
a resident of Menlo Park: Felton Gables
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Something is just not right about how this story has been reported. I find it hard to believe that a man who has worked with students for nearly 40 years and would have been involved with all types of kids would react in the way these boys have stated. Having worked with students myself, I know that this age tends to exaggerate. I'm glad we have spend so much time and energy on this case to discover the real "truth".

Posted by Diane
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:48 pm

This is an unbelievable waste of time and money. Someone, that has mostly volunteered their time to coach cross country and track at a local public high school, is convicted of such a crime. I have observed Kelly for 6 years with all types of kids and have never seen behavior as these kids report. I think it is so sad that after almost 40 years of helping kids run, out of the goodness of his heart, that this one incident has ruined it for many other kids that may have benefitted from his time and effort. As we all know, resources are very tight, and how often do we find someone so dedicated to our kids?

Posted by Lucas del Calvo
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Kelly has always been extremely kind and supportive. He is a great person and would never have done any of the things which he was accused of. Kelly is everything I could ask for in a coach, and a person, and the whole case is an immensely unfortunate result of a few lies.

Posted by Luke
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 15, 2009 at 9:38 pm

A sad culmination of events. As a former student, coached by Mr. Weston for four years, nothing in this situation makes sense. Mr. Weston consistently demonstrated an uncanny devotion to kids and it seems clear that this is just another situation with an out of control DA trying hard to make a name for themselves by prosecuting innocent people-- all while successfully wasting our tax money. In the end, there was no real evidence of battery presented in court other than one child's word against Mr. Weston, including no evidence of physical battery as observed by the police officer on the night of the event. Seems like our system is working as well as ever!

Posted by Julie
on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Waste of time and money is right. What kind of upside down world is it when officials send a simple neighbors' dispute to be settled in superior court? Kelly Weston has been a caring coach and volunteer for nearly 40 years. His good actions have provided immense benefit to scores, if not hundreds of kids. The only individual who benefits from this situation is the prosecuting attorney. His stats will go up.

Posted by Joseph
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Kelly has been my coach for all four of my years at MA and I would never have thought it possible for him to act violently toward a kid over something like this, regardless of race. Seems sad that his whole life is ruined over something so trivial.

Posted by David H.
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 16, 2009 at 10:21 am

The communities of Redwood City, Atherton, Menlo Park and East Palo Alto have suffered an incalculable loss by this conviction. For the last 40 years, Kelly Weston has devoted himself to helping the children of these communities, regularly volunteering more time per month than most do in a lifetime. It is tragic that someone who has served the community for so long (as well as serving our country as a Vietnam veteran) is going to be unable to continue coaching due to the likely exaggerated accounts of these children, along with the help of an overzealous District Attorney. I am not trying to imply that his contributions should make him immune to justice, but rather that no one should have been convicted of these baseless charges (a child was allegedly assaulted, but no one beside the children witnessed it and the reporting officer found no signs of battery on the child?), and that it is especially devastating when the victim is someone as giving as Kelly. I can only hope that the Sequoia Union High School District will have the courage to keep Kelly as a coach, but unfortunately it sounds like that is not going to happen.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Justice was served. This is not a popularity contest. It doesn't matter how many friends a person has. No one is above the law.

Posted by Terri
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Dec 16, 2009 at 3:25 pm

It is a tradgety that we have narrow minded ready to convict a person without knowing the real facts like the person who wrote "Justice is served". My friend, you scare me. You would fit much better in a would created by a man like Hitler.

Posted by WhoRUpeople
on Dec 16, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Terri-you kind of scare me a little bit. A four day jury trial resulted in the conviction. I don't know the coach, nor the kids involved, but I do believe in our justice system of due process. I choose to believe that there were 12 people who were provided the "real facts", and made their decision accordingly.

Posted by Jim
on Dec 16, 2009 at 4:24 pm

It's great that so many people have voiced their opinion in support of Coach Kelly. To those who don't agree, I would say that you are relying on the accuracy of what has been reported here and, therefore, believing that account from the teenage boys was credible. I tend to believe a man who has worked with students for 40 years over the 11 and 12 year old boys. I guess these kids are blameless in this situation. Hopefully, they will get their due reward some day.

Posted by Joe
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Dec 16, 2009 at 4:56 pm

In other words, the justice system is corrupt in San Mateo County, and that includes a jury of 12 people who all agreed to convict Mr. Weston on one count, but could not reach a unanimous decision on the other three.

This trail of corruption leads to the prosecutors in the DA's office, including the trial attorney, his supervisor and the attorney(s) who decided to go ahead with the case, not to mention the officers from the Sheriff's Department who interviewed both the boys and Mr. Weston.

This whole case is based on a web of fabrications from these boys, a bundle of lies that is transparent to many on this thread but somehow escaped the notice of the many professionals involved.

Wow. We really are in trouble.

Posted by re: Joe & others
on Dec 16, 2009 at 5:10 pm

It does not necessarily mean the whole justice system is corrupt. However, if you are to think that innocent people have never been convicted of crimes just because it requires a jury of 12 people to agree on the charge then that is being pretty naive. Innocent people have and will continue to be prosecuted and convicted, because in any system there is room for error. The people supporting Kelly think that this is one of those cases, based on the fact that we know Kelly to be one of the most caring people, who has worked nearly every day with children for the last 40 years. If there was evidence of battery that would be one thing, but the police found no such evidence so it really just comes down to his word against theirs.

Posted by school mom
on Dec 16, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I am not familiar with the person or the case but it is a documented fact that innocent people have been convicted of crimes and sometimes sent to their death. The ambitious DA who will do anything to win a case is a pulp fiction stereotype, but that doesn't mean the breed doesn't exist. And juries can be swayed by a compelling argument, by their own experiences, or even by a misunderstanding of the instructions given them.

As was noted above, whose interest did it serve to bring this to trial anyway?

I wonder if the supporters who are posting here also volunteered to serve as character witnesses during the trial. If not, why not? I agree that the testimony of a couple of young boys does not seem very credible. Sounds as though this is a case that should be appealed, and hope the outcome is more satisfactory next time.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Think of the children
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Dec 17, 2009 at 11:23 am

I don't know if he ever pushed anybody, but the behavior he has displayed in front of his kids is grounds enough for him to dismissed from his position. I'm sure he is well-intentioned, but the man has no concept of boundaries. His reckless behavior while on trial showed a lack of self-control. He seems like a kind and caring man. But, we can't dismiss using racial slurs and other questionable behavior in front of kids because he's a great coach. He's been accused by numerous parties of crossing the line. What is more likely? The average friend of Weston hasn't seen his angry side, or that there is a widespread conspiracy between those boys, the sheriff who interviewed him and heard racial slurs, and the students at school who have heard him use the 'N" word. What makes more sense? The people who so adamantly deny these claims would change their mind with a little research.

Posted by Larry
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Dec 17, 2009 at 11:50 am

Mr.Kelly Weston is a good man this is [Portion removed due to disrespectful comment or offensive language] , Im a black man Mr. Weston works with all kids and this is some [Portion removed due to disrespectful comment or offensive language].This kids should be ashame of there selfs and there parents too. [Portion removed due to disrespectful comment or offensive language]

Posted by PAUL CLAUSON
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 17, 2009 at 2:12 pm

That's right, my full name, because I stand by what follows. I have visited Kelly several times in the evening, unannounced, to check in on him. I doubt anyone on this board can make a similar statement. I have had the luxury of seeing him at work but also after work hours. This is a man who loves kids and has spent his entire adult life working with kids of all racial backgrounds. I work in East Palo Alto with a non profit that runs soccer, predominantly for Latinos, year round. Kelly is not racially motivated. I have seen kids around Kelly's house on several occasions run from his place when I have walked up. Why would they run? Seems pretty obvious...perhaps looking to insight an older man who does not fit in the neighborhood. I am most disappointed with all of the local newspapers that have inadequately and presumptuously failed to follow up this story with concrete facts. It is rather shameful. The manager of the trailer park changed her story on a couple occasions as to whether or not she heard the altercation. What does that tell you when a potential witness changes their story? Pathetic. Shame on you local papers for trashing a man's reputation!

Posted by Deb
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 17, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I am grieved to hear of the injustices toward Coach Kelly. He is a kind man and the accusations toward him are ridiculous.

Posted by David Boyce
Almanac staff writer
on Dec 17, 2009 at 7:58 pm

David Boyce is a registered user.

The Almanac was unable to cover Mr. Weston's trial in person, but covered this story through interviews with those reliable sources who would give them.

It's common practice for lawyers to silence their clients and do the talking for them. Mr. Weston, not surprisingly, declined to talk for this story. His lawyer, who was copied on the interview request, also did not respond, though she did in an earlier story.

The District Attorney's Office did respond promptly to The Almanac's interview requests. I'd be surprised if the prosecutors would advise kids in this case or their parents to talk with a reporter, if the reporter had the time and resources to actually find these people and interview them.

In his post, Mr. Clauson laments the dearth of "concrete facts" to support Mr. Weston's case. If Mr. Weston's lawyer isn't talking, it's a little difficult for a reporter to make any reliable headway on that front. All we have to go on, so far, is the prosecutor's side of the story.

If the story continues, maybe his lawyer will be more forthcoming, but such talk involves risks that she may not be willing to take, and for good reason -- it could have the effect of trying the case in public.

Newspapers are often criticized for trying a suspect in public before he or she has had his or her day in court. That did not happen here, and it won't happen.

Posted by Jerry L.
on Dec 17, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I have never met Kelly Weston,I live in the same kind of situation as him in another mobile home park. My park is not very big and over the years the population has become 99% Hispanic, the same race of Kelly's accusers. I have to watch myself every day because the people in my park are causing all kinds of grief every day and are trying to cause get me in trouble any way they can. I know they want this entire park for themselves and this has me and my 80 year old neighbor on edge every day. For those of you who have so stupidly accused this man and so easily condemed him I say you have to experence this kind of predudice for yourself. I do every day.

Posted by Hernandez
on Dec 17, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I live in Mr. Weston's neighborhood very close to the two mobile home parks. I have friends in both parks and in the park where Mr. Weston lives I have seen what the kids and some of the adults are like. I am Hispanic and I am ashamed of what some of these people can be like toward a single older man. I believe Mr. Weston has been wrongly accused and this makes me very sad for him and my people.

Posted by Eric Garthoffner
on Dec 17, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I've had the pleasure of knowing coach Kelly for a number of years and I know that he is an honorable man. I don't for a minute believe these lies. It is a shame that this is the way that we treat a veteran of this country. He has selflessly served the country and his community. Some people have correctly said that this is not a popularity contest and they are right. This is about getting to the truth. Kelly is an honorable man...that is the truth. I pray that God blesses him in the face of these unjust and untrue charges.

Posted by Ridiculous Arguments
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Dec 18, 2009 at 12:03 am

To Think of the Children:

If Mr. Weston is a racist, or if you think he is, perhaps it could be appropriate to remove him from his coaching position at the school. By the way, making racist slurs does not always equate to being a racist, at least in my view, but I can understand the argument that you don't want children exposed to the slurs.

Even if this is all true (that he's a racist), it's simply not a crime. The sheriff hearing or interpreting some comments as racist slurs cannot be used as confirmation that he pushed a child (the crime for which he was found guilty). I really don't follow the logic, other than a politically correct lynching (he's a racist, so suspend the rules of reasonable doubt and convict him for pushing a child even though reasonable doubt should attach to those accusations).

To me, the big picture of all of this is simply racism is not a crime, but the San Mateo D.A. wishes to make him pay for those alleged racist comments as a part of a politically correct rewriting of the law book, so there was a transference of the crime they wish existed (racism) into the crime they really shouldn't have been able to prove (battery).

To me, the import of all of this goes well beyond this individual case and the many supporters of Mr. Weston who have come out to speak on his behalf on this forum. If this can happen to me, can the same thing happen to you or me for thinking unpopular or politically incorrect thoughts?

The judge should not have allowed the sheriff's confirmation of racist statements to enter into any type of testimony into this trial.

Posted by NICHOLAS J. REIS
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Dec 18, 2009 at 2:33 am

The accusations and result of Kelly Weston's case are well-published. As is the norm these days especially, the local papers sensationalize whatever they can and publish stories to get attention and readership, even if the stories are purely accusatory - and one-sided accusations at that. (Accusatory stories contain no accountability for the reliability of facts. Compare this, for example, to the current Tiger Woods scandal - where at least police were able to verify several key facts that were reported { i.e. 1. he crashed his car 2. it was late at night 3. his wife brandished a golf club in his close vicinity , etc.} Contrast this once again to Mr. Weston's case, where no facts were able to be verified by sources of real authority. I raise this comparison not to address matters of culpability, but to pinpoint the frivolity of newspapers speculating on a story like Weston's versus having actual facts to write about - and then, having idiot members of the general public take this writing to be worth its weight in gold, very possibly before serving on a jury for his trial.

With that said, some people are wisely choosing to consult historical precedent while others' are foolishly (as Jim from downtown Menlo Park stated) listening to the accounts of some preteen boys. This is foolish because kids, especially at that age, often experiment with lying to see what they can "get away with". Also, just because they're kids, people automatically picture them as vulnerable "victims" - and the kids themselves pick up on this too and act accordingly. Kelly has spent four lifetimes of any one of these kids volunteering to help youths in the community. In fact, he has received numerous awards of excellence for his decades of service. Physically, these kids are without a scratch. Even though I and countless others bear witness to Kelly's stellar character and personal integrity, that clearly doesn't hold a candle to the faultless morality of these two poor young victims in minds of the jury.

I will tell you what the real culprit is in all of this, and a central reason why this abomination ever made it to an actual court - it's the radical liberal agenda that dominates our culture. It is well known that there are many welfare-collecting, unemployment-devouring minorities all around us, but especially somewhere like in that trailer park. The worst part is - we wait on them hand and foot!!! That's the mentality we've developed - a chronic "white-man's burden" that wants to shepherd these "disadvantaged" people along, even if it means spitting in the face of justice along the way. They're simply looking for an easy way to make a buck. I assure you even just twenty years ago this nonsense wouldn't even have been entertained as a plausible criminal case. Only through years of steadily accruing ignorance and reverse-racism have we reached the levels necessarily to successfully "try" and prosecute a case like this.

There are some key ironies in all of this that should be pointed out. First of all, Kelly has dedicated his life to serving children - and he wouldn't even be LIVING in a place like this if he didn't choose to spend his the majority of his adult life VOLUNTEERING for virtually ZERO pay. THAT is why he lives with the scum in the park - and THIS is what he gets? Think about it. Secondly, on a similar note - Kelly spent time in Vietnam serving the country - so that he could protect the very people who are prosecuting him and he fought for the very RIGHTS they are prosecuting him with.

Let's just say, as a * Devil's Advocate * , that *HEAVEN FORBID* Mr. Weston pushed the kid. Since I can't PROVE to you his innocence, let's say he did. Is that really grounds for ending a 40-plus year career of service and dedication? NOT ONE OF THE KIDS EVEN HAD SO MUCH AS A SCRATCH. However, we let celebrities and well-known public figures off the hook for MURDER and FAR WORSE crimes - crimes which they even ADMITTED guilt for. Bill Clinton still has a thriving political career after multiple affairs. Michael Vick was given a second-chance (which I fully support) for TORTURING animals. However, Kelly Weston *MAY* have pushed a child , and so therefore his half-lifetime of sefless giving needs to be IMMEDIATELY ended??

This is a case where I am embarassed for our legal system, and for the citizenry involved with it. Irrespective of this worthless and shameful trial, Kelly J. Weston will continue to have a profoundly uplifting effect on my life and provide me with a well of inspiration.

Posted by Mika
on Dec 18, 2009 at 10:00 am

How sad that our courts and the media do not care to see or seek truth. Taking the word of children to convict a long-time resident, veteran and high school track volunteer, whose rights to freedom of speech should be protected by the First Amendment of the AMERICAN Constitution. Do not sit high and mighty (and naive); pretending children and teens cannot be abusive with tendencies to gang up on others…esp those outside of their ethnic community. And just imagine if Coach Kelly brought charges of "racial slurs" against those who berated him daily…that would receive zero media attention and be dismissed on grounds of political correctness.

To those that judge based only on media reports…go to see the Wizard of Oz and get yourself a brain.

Posted by jordan
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Dec 18, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I have known Kelly for the past couple years and I cannot explain how disappointed I am with the outcome of this case. He works with us high school students and his patience with young adults makes me believe that what he has been convicted for are absurd. He is not only an amazing cross country coach but an amazing mentor. He does not deserve this sort of treatment. Malcom Gladwell a famous write has written three books one of which talks about the mind and how no matter if we express it or not there is still some racism within us all whether we accept it or not (tests were done to prove this). So how can we determine that Mr. Weston is accountable for being racist and pushing these kids. There was no physical evidence to show that he had pushed the kids in any way. The person on the phone with Mr. Weston was able to coincide with his defense that he had never pushed these kids.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Dec 18, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Wow. There are some pretty crazy and scary posts in this thread!

You have the one or two people who say that being a racist is not a crime. Then you have the one or two people who say that the coach can do no wrong. And then you have the people that say that children's words are worth less than those of a man.

I'm sure glad that none of you are in a position of power. And if you are... then I hope that you lose that power soon.

Have a great weekend!

Posted by NICHOLAS J. REIS
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Dec 18, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Stevie - Listen up buddy. In my post in particular, I identified some key factors that would not necessarily make children's words "worth less" than a man, but make them highly, highly questionable IN THIS CONTEXT. Clearly you did not closely read what I wrote, if you read my post at all. Please consult Lamar Burton if you need help learning how to read better. Thanks.

Posted by NICHOLAS J. REIS
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Dec 18, 2009 at 5:15 pm

LAVAR Burton, that is. Better yet,

THE GREAT LAVAR BURTON OF ILLUSTRIOUS READING RAINBOW FAME.

and Steve-O - It is PRECISELY the fools "in power" right now that have allowed this lunacy to occur - Judges, DA's, and other officials who ALLOW this case to even become a trial. Worse, it is the legislators over time who have passed the ASININE laws and precedents that have so honorably had "justice" served today.

I'm glad you think you know what's best for our community - hope you enjoy helping to create an America that has our founding fathers spinning in their graves. You don't even deserve to live in this country.

Posted by NICHOLAS J. REIS
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Dec 18, 2009 at 5:20 pm

HaHa, it's LEVAR BURTON - Or, LeVar Burton. Damn French in Louisiana! Creoles in the house one time!

Posted by Ridiculous Arguments
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Steve, being racist (by anyone's definition) is NOT a crime. Believe it or not. If you stopped to think about it, you could figure out why (freedom of thought, speech, etc. that are all in the Bill of Rights). There are certain laws that enhance the penalties for various crimes (e.g., a violent crime committed because of racist views) as "hate crimes" when racially motivated. The thoughts or utterances themselves are decidedly not crimes and you should actually be glad they are not by taking the big picture view (thus the old slogan "I hate what you say, but will defend with my life your right to say it.").