All dog owners know that if a dog realizes something can fit inside its mouth, it's only a matter of seconds before the item goes down the gullet. If that item is a mushroom, the results can be tragic.
According to Menlo Park residents, five local dogs have already died this year from eating poisonous fungi.
A local dog trainer, Donnasue Jacobi, reminds owners that mushrooms have an expansive root system that dogs can dig up.
"We haven't had much rain, but if you've got lots of oak trees, the compost that's made from falling leaves is a perfect place for these things to get growing," she wrote in an email after a client's miniature pinscher died.
She recommends checking yards and other outdoor areas daily.
Check here for examples and photos of poisonous vegetation.
You can also pick up a portable photo card of the plants at Holbrook-Palmer Park in Atherton on Monday nights from March 19 through May 7 between 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m., or at the Pet Place, 777 Santa Cruz Ave., and Bow Wow Meow, 654 Santa Cruz Ave., in Menlo Park.