Menlo Vacuum & Fix-it Shop changes hands

Click on photos to enlarge and see captions.

By Elena Kadvany

Special to the Almanac

Menlo Vacuum & Fix-it Shop, a 50-year-old Menlo Park institution, is changing owners on Monday, July 2.

Bill Wagner started working at the shop, which repairs all manner of household appliances from vacuums to toasters, when he was a sophomore at Menlo-Atherton High School in 1973. He has been the owner for about 30 years.

On Monday, he passed the keys to longtime employee George Lynch, who bought the store from Mr. Wagner. The shop is at 1179 El Camino Real, between Santa Cruz and Oak Grove avenues in Menlo Park.

"George has been with me about 25 years. It's a natural progression for him to buy the place and I retire from it," he said. "I put my time in a good business and I know he will carry it on as I did."

Mr. Wagner, who lives in Monterey, will continue a job as the production manager for the Monterey Jazz Festival.

Fix-It shop: Handling each appliance with care.

Comments

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Jul 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Peter Carpenter is a registered user.

What a great resource Menlo Vacuum & Fix-it is to have in our community. A big thanks to Bill and so wonderful that the tradition will continue with George's ownership. In an age where everything is considered disposable and few things repairable they defy that mind set.

Posted by Maureen , a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Jul 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm

So glad it's staying around, a wonderful menlo Park shop! Best of luck to Bill and George.

Posted by joy, a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Jul 2, 2012 at 12:35 pm

so glad the shop will continue. Best of luck to all!

Posted by Tammy, a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Jul 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm

That place is such a gem. They've always figured things out (once Bill called out the problem and solution from the back when he had only heard my machine and not even seen it). I"m so glad the shop will remain a Menlo Park tradition. Lucky us...and good luck to them!

Posted by Sybille, a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on Jul 2, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I totally agree with all the comments above. Hooray for a gem of a place! Have had several things fixed there over the years and they are still lasting. I hope it will stay here for a long, long time!

Posted by Bill Wagner, a resident of Menlo Park: Downtown
on Jul 3, 2012 at 6:31 am

My sincere appreciation goes out to this wonderful community for supporting small businesses like Menlo Vacuum; I am so pleased that George will be carrying on the tradition. Best of luck, George!

Posted by Menlo Parker, a resident of Menlo Park: University Heights
on Jul 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Just by accident, I stopped in Monday for vacuum bags, not knowing about the change of ownership yet. The store was closed, but they opened up for me anyway. Thanks, guys! I'm happy to keep patronizing a neighborly shop.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.