Tim Hanretty, the former superintendent of Portola Valley schools who is charged with stealing more than $100,000 from the school district, has been offered a plea bargain by the county District Attorney's Office.
He is expected to decide at a court hearing later this month whether to accept or reject the offer.
At a July 18 San Mateo County Superior Court review, prosecutors offered Mr. Hanretty a plea deal that includes the potential for state prison, District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe told the Almanac after the hearing.
Mr. Hanretty's attorney, Michael Markowitz, requested time to discuss the plea offer with his client, and a July 31 date was set for 9 a.m., Mr. Wagstaffe said.
He declined to disclose further details of the plea offer.
If the offer is accepted, Judge Mark Forcum will decide whether Mr. Hanretty will serve time in prison, Mr. Wagstaffe said.
A likely consideration in sentencing will be Mr. Hanretty's ability to pay restitution to the district, Mr. Wagstaffe said, adding that, so far, there has been no restitution.
Mr. Hanretty pleaded not guilty on June 19 to six counts of embezzlement from the Portola Valley School District, charges involving the alleged stealing of nearly $101,000 to pay for a construction project at his Woodside home during his tenure as superintendent.
He had resigned from his post in January, after the DA's office launched an investigation into suspected misappropriation of funds stemming from his prior work as business official at the Woodside Elementary School District.
As a result of that investigation, he was charged in April with three felony counts of misappropriation of public funds. Both cases are being heard together in court.
Mr. Hanretty posted bail, and remains out of custody.
If he rejects the plea deal, Mr. Hanretty will be in court on Aug. 16 for a preliminary hearing on the charges, Mr. Wagstaffe said.