Election: Incumbent faces watchdog in District 3 supervisorial race

Big differences in beliefs on government's proper role in our lives, and on local government's effectiveness in fulfilling its role, separate Don Horsley and Michael Stogner. One key thing on which they find common ground, though, is that each wants to represent District 3 on the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors.

Mr. Horsley has held the board's District 3 seat since 2010, and is running for a second four-year term. Mr. Stogner ran against Mr. Horsley in 2010, and ran for the District 1 seat in 2011.

Don Horsley

Michael Stogner
District 3 includes Atherton, Portola Valley, Woodside, parts of Menlo Park and Belmont, San Carlos, and large coastal and unincorporated areas. This will be the first by-district supervisor race, which means only residents of District 3 can choose the district representative.

While Mr. Horsley has played a key role in county governance and law enforcement for decades, Mr. Stogner's involvement has been primarily as a government watchdog. A San Carlos businessman who has also worked as a victim's advocate, he lists corruption, unfunded pension liabilities, and what he sees as the lack of oversight and review of government practices as areas he would focus on as a supervisor.

A retired sheriff receiving a pension, Mr. Horsley promised not to accept a supervisor salary when he ran for office in 2010 because the county was facing a structural deficit, he said. But after about two years, he began receiving the salary, noting that the county's fiscal health had improved and that taking a salary was justified.

He changed course in the face of public criticism once the matter made headlines in the local newspapers, which his challenger, Mr. Stogner, takes credit for. "I'm the one who got Don to get back on track after he broke his political promise," Mr. Stogner said in an email.

Mr. Horsley said he intends to accept the $125,000 annual salary if re-elected. "Basically, I figure I saved the county half a million dollars by not taking (a salary) in my first term," he noted.

While Mr. Stogner says he won't be taking campaign contributions or spending money for mailers and signs, Mr. Horsley raised about $19,250 from Jan. 1 through March 17, and spent nearly $6,600 during that period, according to his campaign disclosure statement.

Don Horsley

Mr. Horsley served as county sheriff for nearly 14 years before retiring in 2007. He then was elected to the Sequoia Healthcare District board, on which he served until being sworn in as a supervisor.

During a second term, he said, priorities would include upgrading farmworker housing, which would improve the lives of many migrant workers "who really aren't migrant anymore" but whose presence is critical to the county's agricultural sector; improving facilities and services of the Cordilleras Mental Health Center in unincorporated Redwood City to "help the mentally ill people (served) there deal with their illness and be reunited with their families"; and traffic management on the Coastside.

He said he will also continue to work on resolving traffic problems -- for bicyclists, pedestrians and motorists -- on Alpine Road in the South County.

During his first term, he said, he helped to secure funding to reconfigure a section of the Alpine Road/Interstate 280 interchange to make it safer for bicyclists after the November 2010 death of a bicyclist riding in that location.

Another South County project he found funding for was a long-term solution to a roadway problem in Los Trancos Woods, he said. Although the county's public works department planned to fix a portion of Ramona Road with a project that would have been cheaper, residents were concerned the planned project wouldn't provide the stability needed and the road would be in danger of being washed out, he said.

Mr. Horsley met with the community and county staff, brought in an outside soils engineer to assess the situation, and managed to secure the emergency funding for a project that is likely to provide more stability in the long term, he said.

Michael Stogner

"I believe that corruption exists most everywhere and it is up to the citizens to stop it where possible," Mr. Stogner says in his opening statement on his campaign website. "... I am committed to substantially reducing it in our County. The Supervisors are responsible for this issue," the statement concludes.

Although he's never served in public office, Mr. Stogner is a regular presence in the county supervisors' chambers and at meetings of other public agencies. His has also been a recognizable voice when public officials are in the spotlight for their missteps: For example, when Sheriff Greg Munks was detained in a Las Vegas brothel during a 2007 law enforcement sting, Mr. Stogner publicly and repeatedly called for his resignation.

Mr. Stogner supports creation of a Citizens Oversight Committee for the county composed of "ordinary citizens" to keep an eye on government practices.

He opposes the county's participation in regional and broader-based efforts, such as the One Bay Area Plan and the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives, in favor of maintaining local control of decisions and policies.

As the county has grown and become a much more expensive place to live, Mr. Stogner says county residents are "being pushed to the limit with taxes" and he opposes any increase. Instead, cost-cutting measures should be put into effect, including outsourcing the county's building and planning departments and reducing the county jail's population of people awaiting trial.

Comments

+   Like this comment
Posted by Great story
a resident of Atherton: other
on May 23, 2014 at 9:43 am

Now this is what I call a story that presents issues in a fair way to readers. It's fine journalism. Unfortunately in the same issue, a hit piece editorial was launched against Michael Stogner that I imagine the paper wishes it could pull back now that he's the Republican and Liberterian endorsed candidate for supervisor.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on May 23, 2014 at 10:36 am

Today's Palo Alto Daily Post endorsement of my opponent says that I offer nothing new in this race, just more conspiracy theories about corruption. It would have been nice to have met with the owner of that paper to discuss some of the Huge differences between Don and I.

From StognerforSupervisor2014 website:

I'm opposed to ICLEI

PS this is the same paper that gave me credit for losing an election I wasn't even in.

Posted by Question
on May 23, 2014 at 10:51 am

Mr. Stogner:

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on May 23, 2014 at 10:52 am

I support a Whistleblower program that is available for ANYBODY to report wrong doing, my opponent does not.

Posted by Greatest Story
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on May 23, 2014 at 10:59 am

"I believe that corruption exists most everywhere"

Darryl Issa, is that you?

"a hit piece editorial was launched against Michael Stogner"

Link for this? What are you hiding? Let's rebut it.

Sunlight is the greatest disinfectant.

Anyone?

Posted by SteveC
on May 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm

SteveC is a registered user.

You can ask all you want for the sheriff to resign, but hold your breath who knows...

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on May 23, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Question asks:
Mr. Stogner:

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you getting a lot more media attention this time around than in your previous efforts? Answer Yes to more media attention.

Big Issue for example One Bay Area Plan

It took me about 20 hours of research plus attending a meeting of people who are the experts in this subject, to determine that I am opposed to it. If you are a property owner in San Mateo County you would most likely appreciate that.

My opponent is not opposed to it. This subject all by itself would be worth a debate.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on May 23, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Steve C.

"I am also waiting for the paperwork to recall the sheriff. That was over 5 years ago and no action, just a lot of talk, typical republican bull, Mr. Stogner."

This has been answers many times in the past as you are aware, by the way it was 7 years ago I thought the Supervisors of the County would back the resignation request, I was wrong not one of them did. 40,000 signatures to recall the Sheriff without one Elected LEADER from the County supporting it. That is why I stopped it. you already know this.

Posted by Greatest Story
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on May 23, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Are you aware of it, and do you have a response?

And do you really think that "corruption exists most everywhere" or was that one of those spur of the moment slip during the interview? No anecdotal tales or single examples of corruption please, just about "corruption most everywhere". I'm having a hard time wraping my head around a world with "corruption most everywhere" (not the hyperbole evidenced by some on the far edges of our society, but real "corruption most everywhere".)

Thank you.

Posted by SteveC
on May 23, 2014 at 3:23 pm

SteveC is a registered user.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on May 23, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Steve C

"Answer my question Mr. Stogner. You kept saying you were almost ready to file. Where are the papers and why were they not filed! Was it just you Bull as usual? Me thinks so!"

I have just answered you question above. As I have many times in the past.

Posted by Greatest Story
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on May 23, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I'm not sure you answered Steve's question, merely evaded it. That's between you and Steve.

You definitely did not answer my questions.

1.) There was also a question about a link to "a hit piece editorial was launched against Michael Stogner".

Are you aware of it, and do you have a response?

2.) And do you really think that "corruption exists most everywhere" or was that one of those spur of the moment slip during the interview? (not the hyperbole evidenced by some on the far edges of our society, but real "corruption most everywhere".)

Thank you.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on May 23, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Greatest Story, You know I did answer SteveC question and now for yours, I don't know which article is being referenced so I don't have a response for it.

Yes my corruption statement is accurate and that is why I say on my website I will do everything possible to substantially reduce it in San Mateo County. This is not a Newsflash to any of the residents of SMC, go to our Museum its well established. There have been recent articles of the Deep level of Corruption in the DA's Office reported to the Supervisors, SMDJ Michelle Duraund.

Comprehensive Performance Review Audits
Web Link

Posted by Greatest Story
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on May 23, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Several incidents and then referring to anecdotes over the last 100 years in a museum is not "corruption exists MOST EVERYWHERE".

You and I see life differently. I know few "corrupt" people. Maybe we travel in different circles.

So you know nothing about, nor do you seek to straighten the record regarding "a hit piece editorial was launched against Michael Stogner"?

Okay.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on May 23, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Greatest Story,

As soon as I know which article Great Story was referring to I will be happy to respond.

Posted by Martin A. Hillerby
on May 24, 2014 at 11:19 am

To Greatest Story and SteveC...... Do the other people running answer questions like Mr. Stogner does? Munks refused to answer any questions when he was caught red handed in a whore house in Vegas. Have you grilled Munks like you are Mr. Stogner? And Steve, you're complaining because Mr. Stogner, after all his efforts to bring Munks' underage whore house attending to our attention and thousands of citizen's signatures calling for Munks recall, didn't file papers? Mr. Stogner did answer your question....possibly not the way you wanted. Do try to comprehend. And Greatest Story....If you don't think "corruption exists most everywhere" you've had your head in the sand too long. Just google it and see if I'm right. Here's just one of thousands...>> Web Link

I've also found that people who use anonymous IDs tend to BS and throw false accusations as they don't have to be held accountable....like you expect Mr. Stogner to do. Why do you guys feel the need to be anonymous? Be a man...stand up and be counted.

Here's a suggestion when you ask a question ....use links to show what you're talking about. Use quotes too. I've found those that don't use links and quotes tend to like throwing insults and attacks.

I have a question for the both of you (Greatest Story and SteveC)....
Do you back Munks or ANYONE who endorsed him after his whore house gaff...or do you think he should have been removed for his actions at the whore house? Yes or No please...with explanations if wanted.

Posted by Stephen A. Harte
on May 26, 2014 at 10:36 am

Didn't ask me, but what the hay.........

I'd STRONGLY consider voting for another qualified candidate, but there isn't another candidate on the ballot, qualified or not.

Curious: why do you term it a gaffe, and then go ballistic about a gaffe that happened sometime prior to the last two elections?

Lastly: what about Mr. Stogner's financial mishaps from the same era? Any comments?

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on May 26, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I am opposed to Agenda 21, my opponent isn't, the paper doesn't think that is an issue for the voters to think about.

Click on Agenda 21 to see video of Nancy Pelosi bringing it to America.

Web Link

Posted by SteveC
on May 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm

SteveC is a registered user.

Stogner didn't answer my question. So I have to assure he failed to get enough signatures for the recall. I know it is a big job to gather the signatures, etc. I didn't see any recall petitions in my area.

Stogner has failed at all his attempts for public office. He tried being a Polly Parrot with Jack Hickey for the Health Care Board and his attempts for supervisor.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

M H I guess you were present at the Doll House to know for certain what occurred.

The FBI has no problems arresting people who commit crimes a Sheriff or Under Sheriff, ask Leland Yee.

Posted by Menlo Voter
on May 26, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Menlo Voter is a registered user.

SteveC:

still begs the question. What was Munks doing in an illegal whorehouse featuring underage girls? I'd be willing to bet if one of his deputies was caught doing the same thing that deputy would have been gone. Oh wait, we're talking San Mateo county not Santa Clara. My bad. Nothing would have happened in that case either. Santa Clara county actually has people with integrity in positions of authority. In THAT county things would have gone quite differently.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on May 26, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Steve C, call me I have answered you question so many times, I'll be happy to discuss it with you if you are interested.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?