Those were the days
What is now the Alpine Inn on Alpine Road in Portola Valley has had a number of names and owners. This 1906 photo shows the roadhouse when it was called The Wunder, owned by German immigrants Julius and Gustav Schenkel. That's Walter Jelich Sr. standing in the doorway. Seated on the left with his spaniel is Charles Schenkel. An earlier owner, known as "Black Chapete," is seated at the right, and the boy with the bottle was known as "Rock." Photo courtesy Portola Valley Archives.