Posted by Martin Engel, a resident of the Menlo Park: Park Forest neighborhood, on Aug 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm
1. The positive train control (PTC) system that Caltrain is determined to acquire is far more expensive than, and incompatible with, the PTC that the CHSRA intends to deploy (ETMS).
So what! It's other peoples' money!
2. Electrification of two tracks is intended only as an interim upgrade for Caltrain. It is not a permanent "solution."
3. Both Caltrain and the CHSRA seek four tracks and complete grade separation. Elevated viaducts meet that intention in the most cost-effective way.
4. If and when future funding becomes available, there should be no doubt that the Caltrain corridor will be developed with four tracks elevated.
5. All the negotiating, discussing, challenging, questioning, resolution-writing and legislating will make not a bit of difference to either Caltrain or the CHSRA, both of whom are determined to obtain such a fully developed Caltrain corridor.
6. Don't like it? Tough Noogies!