Andrew George Kridl
June 10, 1924-Jan. 2, 2013
Contact the submitter
Andrew Kridl, a 46-year resident of Atherton, died on Jan. 2 at age 88. He was the beloved husband of 65 years to his wife Teddy; “Pops” to his children Barbara of Oakland, Jean and husband David Dohn of Davis, and Tom and wife Molly of Los Altos; and “Dziadzio” to his grandchildren Kate and Michael Dohn and Sam and Leanne Kridl. He was also a warm lap to his adored cats Amonasro and Penelope.
Andy was born on June 10, 1924, in Warsaw, Poland to Manfred and Halina (Meylert) Kridl. He immigrated to the U.S. in 1941, where he finished high school at Deerfield Academy. He earned a bachelor’s degree at Wesleyan University and a Ph.D. in chemistry from Harvard. In 1945 he served in the U.S. Army and became a citizen. On September 6, 1947, Andy married Elizabeth (Teddy) Campbell of Ann Arbor, Michigan. After receiving his degree, Andy and Teddy moved to California, when he joined Shell Development Co. in 1950. Seven years later, he transferred to New York City, and the family lived in Stamford, Connecticut. Later, he worked for Diamond Alkali Co. in Cleveland.
But Andy and Teddy wanted to return to California. In 1967, Andy joined Raychem Corp. in Menlo Park. They settled in Atherton, where they remained for the rest of his life. Andy finished his career as a vice president at SRI International.
Andy and Teddy enjoyed traveling and seeing the world. Just before retirement, they visited New Zealand and fell in love with the country and the people. They bought a vacation home and returned there every January for two months. Andy also traveled to Poland most years to visit with relatives and friends.
Andy was a Life Master bridge player and continued playing until his death. He also volunteered at the Menlo Park Library for many years.
Andy is also survived by his sister Elizabeth Kridl Valkenier of New York and niece Lisa Valkenier of Oakland. Services will be private. In lieu of flowers, donations in Andy’s name may be made to the Menlo Park Library or to a charity of the donor’s choice.