Almanac

News - May 5, 2010

Menlo Park man killed in fire likely inhaled superheated air, say coroner and fire chief

by Dave Boyce

The Menlo Park man who died in a fire that nearly completely consumed a two-story Berkeley Avenue home on the morning of April 27 was Kelly Brosnan, 46.

Mr. Brosnan, San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault told The Almanac, died as a result of "inhalation of products of combustion," by which he said he meant soot and superheated air.

Firefighters found Mr. Brosnan lying next to a deflated air mattress in a first-floor bedroom in the one unburned part of the house. He may have tried to stand up, encountered superheated air, taken a breath and died, his lungs seared from the heat, Menlo Park Fire Protection District Chief Harold Schapelhouman said.

"One breath and it'll kill you right away," Mr. Foucrault said.

The fire was a furious one, Chief Schapelhouman said at the scene later that day. He noted the absence of a roof and supporting beams and the blackened, skeletal, spindly uprights — studs that, unlike today's lumber, actually measured 2 inches by 4 inches. (The house was built in the 1920s or 1930s, he said.)

"That's really unusual, to see that depth of burn," he added, pointing to what firefighters call "alligator" charring for its scale-like surface texture. "There's nothing (left) there. That's a long time in burning. ... It could have been preheating for hours. I'd say this fire was burning for maybe 30 minutes before anybody discovered (it)."

It was a very hot fire, too, the chief said, pointing out how it had blistered paint on a neighboring garage and blackened a redwood tree and fence. The home's melted aluminum window frames meant a temperature of at least 1,000 degrees, he said.

Because the fire had a head start and a high potential for injury, firefighters fought it from the outside, he said.

"Every fireman wants to go to a fire until you deal with something like this," he said, referring to the fatality. "All of a sudden, you're sort of brought up to the reality of what your job is."

The fire appears to have started accidentally, Chief Schapelhouman said. The blaze was reported at about 1:30 a.m. at 825 Berkeley Ave. in a tree-filled neighborhood.

Firefighters arrived within four minutes and quickly extinguished the flames, Chief Schapelhouman said. The fire was under control by 2 a.m.

Peter Farmer, who lives next door, said Mr. Brosnan rented the house for the past six or seven years and lived alone.

Mr. Farmer was sleeping when he, his wife and their two daughters awoke to the sound of explosions, looked out the window and saw flames pouring from the house next door.

"The flames were intense and probably reaching up 30 or 40 feet," Mr. Farmer said. "It was quite frightening to wake up and see the house completely in flames."

Chief Schapelhouman said the explosions were propane cylinders and aerosol cans that were kept in a wooden shack behind the burning home.

Bay City News Service contributed to this report.

Comments

Posted by Jen MacVicar, a resident of another community
on May 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Kel was an AMAZING man. He overcame many odds to be an extremely successful inventor, something that 1% of the population does.
His landlord was a 'slum lord'. He refused to fix anything in the house and that house needed ALOT of work. No heat, no fire/smoke detectors, a gas leak in the stove/oven, falling trees, etc...Kelly didn't deserve to die this way and at the young age of 46.
Kelly, I will love you forever and ever and ever and looking forward to the time we can meet again and hug.


Posted by Greg Sulger, a resident of another community
on May 15, 2010 at 10:19 am

Kelly was a giant and sensitive man who always had time to help a friend sort through issues. He was sent from heaven, where he now rests. God bless you brother! G


If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields