• $2,700 in the theft of a Prada purse, Louie Vuitton wallet, iPhone, $150 in cash and $300 in gift cards.
• $2,300 in the theft of a purse, wallet, leather book holder and $300 in cash.
• $1,300 in the theft of a purse, wallet and $1,000 in cash.
• $500 in the theft of purse, wallet, $50 in cash and $100 in gift cards.
• $300 in the theft of a backpack, headphones and a jacket.
The dirt parking area at the Alpine Road intersection with Piers Lane is popular with people hiking trails near The Dish, the radio-telescope antenna on undeveloped Stanford University land that overlooks Interstate 280.
Deputies reported a similar incident involving six vehicles in September 2011. As on that occasion, the raids took place in the morning. The sheriff's report this time shows a timestamp of 9:22 a.m. for the Feb. 10 incidents, and 10:37 a.m. for the Feb. 12 incident.
"That area is being hit constantly," Lt. Larry Schumaker of the Sheriff's Office said. He advised hikers to lock their vehicles, close their windows and not leave valuables in plain sight.
This story contains 222 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.