There were no injuries, only slight physical damage, and the residence was never threatened, Battalion Chief Jerry Nave told the Almanac.
Firefighters remained on the scene for more than an hour to keep watch on a small flare of burning gas from the severed 3/4-inch pipe while waiting for workers from Pacific Gas & Electric to arrive and secure the gas line.
"It was safer for us to keep it burning so that we could see it and keep an eye on it," Mr. Nave said.
The situation could have been much worse had the property not been managed with fire-safe practices such as trimming shrubbery to prevent a fire from climbing into the treetops, he said. "Luckily, the homeowner (practiced) real good fuel management," Mr. Nave said. "The resident deserves a lot of credit."
The fire district sent 20 firefighters in the initial response after a 911 caller reported a house on fire, but scaled it back to eight after evaluating the situation, Mr. Nave said.
This story contains 235 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.