The school board held a special meeting on Monday, Feb. 10, to interview the candidates and to appoint one to the seat vacated last month by Laura Rich. The meeting was held after the Almanac's press time. For an update, go to AlmanacNews.com.
The following people applied for the seat:
• Carol Cunningham, an advocate of creating a Mandarin immersion program in the district. Ms. Cunningham has two preschool-age children, and says in her candidate statement that she hopes to send them to district schools.
• Jim Eakin, who served on the board from 1996 to 2000. His two children, now adults, attended district schools.
• Scott Hinshaw, who serves on the Menlo Park-Atherton Education Foundation board. He has three daughters in district schools.
• Stacey Jones, who serves as co-chair of the MPCSD District Council. She has three children in district schools.
• Caroline Lucas, who has a background in education. She has two children in district schools.
The person appointed by the board will serve out Ms. Rich's term, which expires in December.