Mountain Lion Sightings

Original post made by Angela Hey, Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley, on Jan 3, 2007

I was walking down Alpine Road on Jan 1 and at 4:30 pm saw a jogger with binoculars - looking in the field that is just below Nathorst on the other side of Alpine.

My husband, a biker, the jogger and I all saw the mountain lion as it crept up the hill.

We walked to the Alpine Inn then returned back up Alpine Road. On the way back another animal was seen - I said Miaow - and I've never seen a bobcat run so fast - it was about 15 yards from the fence in the same field where we'd seen the mountain lion.

As we were walking up Alpine we met a man who'd seen a juvenile Mountain Lion on Bear Gulch.

Another Westridge resident that I met at the gym said she'd had a deer head and ribs left in her driveway a couple of months ago.

This is the first time I'd ever seen a Mountain Lion in the wild - it didn't run away fast as I expected - instead it kept staring at us - we saw it for about 10 minutes before it disappeared over the horizon.

So be careful if you have small children or dogs - keep them in your sight.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Jenna
on Jan 11, 2007 at 11:18 am

Do people ever see them up at the Dish???

+   Like this comment
Posted by Menlo Park resident
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Jan 12, 2007 at 4:08 pm

What a moment, to have a face-to-face encounter with a mountain lion who, rather than looking away, studies you, too.

I occasionally imagine a lion watching me from the trees at night as I walk by San Francisquito Creek in Menlo Park, and how I might react if it jumped down onto Creek Drive to confront me.

(Please ... don't tell me what to do in facing a lion; I know what to do. I just like to imagine how I might feel and how that would affect what I might do in the moment.)

+   Like this comment
Posted by Robin
on Jan 18, 2007 at 6:40 am

Very glad you broached this topic.

Last September I was hiking in Wunderlich County Park in the early morning, and found a stripped deer leg with hoof on the Alambique trail (just below The Crossroads).

On another occasion last Spring, I hiked within about 6 feet of a *very* hostile-looking bobcat on the Betsy Crowder trail in Windy Hill OSP. I'm pretty sure I caught him by surprise. Perhaps he was unable to detect my approach for some reason (e.g., nerve damage from a virus).

+   Like this comment
Posted by John Mashey
a resident of Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
on Feb 4, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Sunday, Feb 4, about 2:40P, at top of Windy Hill.
Four of us had hiked up, and were looking South at the next peak down, saw something brown moving around on that peak. The head/ears were cat-like (not coyote-like), and then it jumped up and showed the long tail, so not a bobcat. After a while, it went out of sight. Shortly thereafter a coyote wandered up teh hill (after hiding from a hiker with dog), and was clearly different in appearance. We've lived here since 1990, never saw a mountain lion, and now have had two clear sightings in a month!

+   Like this comment
Posted by Ernesto DiSabatino
a resident of Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
on Jun 17, 2008 at 12:26 am

Saw a young mountain lion today just behind our house in the hayfields open space (top of Santa Maria just next to the water tower). It was fairly large, an obvious cat, all lion yellow, and had a bushy tail with some dark rings at the end. This is like 15 ft. from my back door. Kinda scary!

+   Like this comment
Posted by Cindy
on Jan 18, 2010 at 1:56 pm

We live off alpine Rd. just east of Webb Farms. Two nites ago around midnite we heard a loud, horrible sound. Sounded like an animal was being attacked. Its moaning didn't last too long, but it felt forever. Hope to never experience that again. Very scarey.