Sister Helen Costello of Sacred Heart Schools looks back at her years of ministry

Original post made on Jul 25, 2007

In her office, 88-year-old Sister Helen Costello has an embroidered wall hanging that reads, "Love is in giving with no thought of getting. It is tenderness enfolding with strength to protect. It is forgiveness without further thought of the thing forgiven."

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, July 25, 2007, 12:00 AM

+   Like this comment
Posted by Celeste
on Jul 25, 2007 at 10:21 am

As an alum of Menlo I know Mother Costello and the story of her
remarkable life well. She is an example to all of us, not only as an RSCJ but as a compassionate woman who can always be counted on to stand up for her fellow human beings.

Her easy smile and warm nature are always welcoming to all those she comes in contact with. She is never to busy to comfort those who come to her for prayer. She truly understands that one person can make that important difference.

Many years ago I ran into her at Stanford Hospital when my father was gravely ill. I had not seen her in many years as I had been busy with growing up and finding my place in the world.

I introduced myself and she took my hand and gave my her beautiful smile.I told her my about my father's continual struggles to recover from a stroke and all the complications that plagued him. She was intent on listening to every word and made me feel that my mother I were not alone because we are always part of the Sacred Heart family and she would pray for him. She even went to visit him herself and made him also feel comforted.

I recently attended my 40th high school reunion at Menlo and she was there welcoming us home with all of her usual exuberance and love, excited to see all of us again.

I wish her a wonderful celebration of her Ministry and I am again reminded of how fortunate I am to know her and call Menlo my home.

Celeste Smith
Class of 67

+   Like this comment
Posted by Admirer
on Jul 26, 2007 at 7:30 am

She is truly an inspiration.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Candy Costello
on Sep 30, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Thank you so much for such a wonderful tribute to my aunt Helen. She is so awesome - always helping anyone in need.

She's a rascal with a twinkle in her eye who easily accomplishes what others say is impossible.

My aunt Kathy Costello, dedicates her life to caring for her sister Helen who no longer drives. We all look forward to Helen's October 16th birthday.

cc snocapmom@mac.com

+   Like this comment
Posted by Haymond
on Oct 25, 2009 at 5:49 pm

My Wife, and I met Mother Costello at the Childrens Hospital
at Stanford in 1976. Our Son, George, was being treated for
leukemia there. She gave us so much support, in every aspect,
and so much love for our son. After he returned from Seattle,
and returned to Stanford; she used her station wagon to transport
our son home, where he passed in 1977. She was such a strong
influence.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Musette G Buckley
a resident of Atherton: other
on Jul 18, 2012 at 6:48 am

II adore Mother Costello .I truly believe she was instrumental in Frankie's love for the poor and his final vocation to the Jesuits.

The thing I most admired is she stayed true to the tradition of the "Madames" in every way, wore the habit,and was ALWAYS available to all of us.

It is a JOY to call her "Mother".

Please send her my love,

Grandma Musette