Firefighters at busy intersections

Original post made by another public nuisance on Aug 30, 2007

Do we really need firefighters darting in and out of traffic in their eagerness to solicit money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association? It's not that I'm opposed to research (I donate to an MD organization that has a much higher charity rating than MDA, which spends a lot of money on overhead) but rather to being hit up for cash while sitting in my car. Not only does it seem like an inefficient way to collect funds (I prefer to write checks and get receipts myself) but it feels dangerous to me. Isn't it hard enough to drive/bike/walk around town as it is without this extra nuisance?

Posted by annoyed, a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Aug 30, 2007 at 4:55 pm

I agree we don't need firefighters in the middle of El Camino. Dangerous and annoying. I guess they don't have anything else to do.

Posted by firegirl, a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on Aug 30, 2007 at 10:40 pm

I think the firemen are so cute all dressed up in their gear! I can't resist making a donation when they do their MD drive.

Posted by Joanna, a resident of Menlo Park: Downtown
on Aug 31, 2007 at 6:59 am

I commend their actions and am happy that they collect for the charity. I am especially happy that those who give on the streets are not regular charity donors. They aren't necessarily the ones who write checks at the end of the year (I'm guessing). If they start donating now on the street to firefighters (heroes), it may spark an interest in giving to charities in general. They have to start somewhere. And like firegirl said, some of those firefighters look cute! :-)

Dangerous, yes. But so are bikers who don't follow the rules.

Posted by another public nuisance, a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Aug 31, 2007 at 8:30 am

Yes, they are cute...that's why I would really hate to hit one of them when he leaps over my car to grab a dollar bill from the car next to me.

P.S. Aren't there any women firefighters?

Posted by Flipside, a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Aug 31, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Change the word "firefighters" for the word "homless" and I think you'd see a very different reaction to a bunch of guys darting around in traffic asking for money.

Good cause or not, it's a hazard. Since our heroic firefighter/paramedics are the ones who respond to accidents, you'd think they'd want to be a little more careful.

Posted by Amazed, a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Sep 1, 2007 at 12:32 pm

I am floored that there are people who are annoyed...God forbid the fire dept. try to do something nice for someone other than themselves. I guess this self rigteous "I donate to a higher rated charity" uppity bunch of snobby whiners who complain the firemen have nothing better to do...can get bent. Not everyone is super rich, and if the FD want to raise money for a good cause, God bless them. I thought all the rich liberals in this area would respond differntly...though I know I am only irritated by the small number of haters...the rest of us support the fire dept.

Posted by reading for meaning, a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Sep 1, 2007 at 4:04 pm

It's not about supporting the charity or the fire department. It's about condoning dangerous behavior.

May I suggest that you yourself are engaging in the kind of snide finger pointing and whining that you imagine you decry?

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.