Town Square

Post a New Topic

Firefighters douse fire at their own station

Original post made on Aug 7, 2008

A firefighter, rushing to respond to a medical emergency, apparently bumped a magnetically attached lamp at his bed, and a bulb started a mattress fire Wednesday.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, August 6, 2008, 6:05 PM

Comments (3)

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Mike Dayoub
a resident of another community
on Aug 7, 2008 at 9:25 am

Glad minimal damage. I'm developing a SmokeShutoff power strip designed to detect smoke and then shut off whatever is plugged into it. So if those firefighters were out on a call it would have turned off the lamp, maybe before flames erupted.

I've blogged on my SmokeShutoff.com website tons of fires my power strip could have prevented, including many fires caused by fallen lamps.

Sooner or later I'm going to find a manufacturer who recognizes the market and applications for this.

Mike Dayoub


 +   Like this comment
Posted by PA Resident
a resident of another community
on Aug 7, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Mike

Great idea. There would be a great market for these particularly in high tech offices which leave equipment running overnight for simulations, etc.

Good luck.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Brian
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Aug 8, 2008 at 7:55 am

Two words "three stooges". I see a promising career for him at the sheriffs office.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Local picks on 2015 Michelin Bib Gourmand list
By Elena Kadvany | 2 comments | 2,816 views

WUE makes out-of-state tuition more affordable
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 2 comments | 2,735 views

Ode to Brussels Sprout
By Laura Stec | 14 comments | 2,322 views

Charter School Proposal Steeped In Unintended Consequences
By Erin Glanville | 38 comments | 1,597 views

Measure M-- I am not drinking Greenheartís expensive potion
By Martin Lamarque | 7 comments | 300 views