The Almanac makes push for delivery by mail

Original post made on Aug 21, 2008

In an effort to reduce our carbon footprint and eliminate use of the ubiquitous blue plastic bags, The Almanac is beginning a campaign to return the paper to mail delivery. And we need our readers' help.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 12:00 AM

Posted by Martin, Marjorie, a resident of Atherton: other
on Aug 21, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Great idea !!!!!

Posted by ebara, a resident of Menlo Park: University Heights
on Aug 22, 2008 at 8:34 am

Neighbors, please sign up. I think delivery with the mail is much more convenient than having the paper thrown in the driveway or landscaping.

The Almanac used to be delivered with the mail, if I remember correctly. Eliminating the plastic bags will be great.

Posted by Kathy, a resident of Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
on Aug 24, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Yes! Let's reduce both the bags and the number of vehicle trips.

As I recall, when the Almanac switched from mail delivery to private delivery, it was a cost-saving move. Now, it has to be far more expensive to deliver them.

I've signed up. I hope to be getting the Almanac in the mail soon.

Posted by Yay, a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Aug 25, 2008 at 12:35 am

Yes, please everyone please sign up for this, so that those of us that are tired of having the paper edition of the Almanac forced down our throats can finally stop having it litter our driveways. Seriously, has anyone ever successfully gotten the Almanac to CEASE delivery to their house? I don't think so. This plethora of free rags that litter our neighborhood driveways needs to end. Thank God, the Almanac will finally be one less load of fish wrap dumped off in front of our home. So please, everyone that wants one, sign up for it, so the rest of us can stop having this paper cluttering up our neighborhood. Here's hoping the Almanac receives enough sign ups to stop with the junk delivery/littering they have been imposing on all of us

Posted by Ann, a resident of Menlo Park: Downtown
on Aug 25, 2008 at 9:45 am

Actually, the Almanac is good about customer service requests (at least in my neighborhood, and in my experience). If you request that they don't deliver it to your driveway, it stops for good.

It is the Peninsula Examiner that is difficult to stop, which is a different paper.

Posted by central p.v, a resident of Portola Valley: other
on Aug 25, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Hopefully, the Almanac will get delivered as promised as the mail is skeetchy at best these days !! Hooray for the Almanac - let's keep it going forever !!

Posted by Yay, a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Aug 25, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Actually the Almanac is not a good citizen about this, and the mere presumptuousness of dumping litter on my lawn without permission and expecting me to call to have you stop is another topic entirely. Please feel free to read about many other folks that feel the same way about this in a previous Townhall topic: The Almanac = Litter.

Web Link

It is the Almanac that is difficult to stop, litters the driveways in all neighborhoods and wastes a tremendous amount of paper, plastic and fuel by throwing their unwanted product on our property. That is what junk mail rates are for and that is what the Almanac will be categorized as when it starts delivery via the post. I applaud the decision, and look forward to them stopping delivery at my house after numerous requests for them to stop have been ignored.

Posted by neighbor, a resident of another community
on Aug 25, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Love getting my paper by mail -- the Palo Alto Weekly -- but be forewarned: I often get my Wednesday paper on Thursday or Friday and my Friday paper on Monday. I assume that's a function of the Los Altos postal system though.

Posted by web-reader, a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Aug 26, 2008 at 8:51 pm

I enjoy reading the Almanac on the web. I would prefer just the zero-carbon version sent to me via e-mail.

Posted by ginger connolly, a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Sep 17, 2008 at 9:28 am

I support and request mail delivery of the Almanac.

Posted by Rexie, a resident of Menlo Park: Downtown
on Sep 19, 2008 at 4:49 pm

I guess now I'm going to have to start BUYING plastic bags for collecting my dog's poop. Drat.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.