Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Jan 21, 2009
Katie thanks for the photos! I was in the silver ticket standing area also, with people from all over the country who waited in sub freezing temperatures for hours to be a witness for our country's hope and renewal, with cheers and tears when Obama was sworn in.
Nice photos Katie, thanks. I'm buying into the "hope" just not the "renewal" part, we are not as bad as has been portrayed the past 6 months. We need to be very careful of the doom and gloom message, I think many of us have bought it, hook, line and sinker. I think we also have to do a better job of defining "renewal" that seems to be the buzz word lately, but there's nothing attached to what it really means?
I'll take a stab at defining "renewal", Nice: to re-establish, to restore, to revive.
So the next step is to define just we want to re-establish, restore, revive. Here's my partial list:
* Renew our commitment to the democratic principals, Consitution and Bill of Rights our country was founded on.
* Re-establish our moral authority around the world by condemning such notions as pre-emptive war, "either you're for us or you're against us," and that it's acceptable to overthrow governments and support dictators in the interests of making their resources OUR resources, and OUR political ideology their ideology.
* Renew our commitment to education, and to taking care of the sick, the helpless and the impoverished.
* Revive our commitment -- through tax policy, campaign finance reform, and regulatory policy -- to a government of the people, for the people and by the people.
Is renewal possible? I can only hope.
After 8 years of shame, it's nice to feel hopeful about our country.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Draeger’s Los Altos eyes upgrades, expansion
By Elena Kadvany | 4 comments | 2,941 views
Housing is for People
By Steve Levy | 26 comments | 1,947 views
College Visit: Lehigh and Lafayette
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 4 comments | 1,318 views
Is Coffee a Date?
By Laura Stec | 12 comments | 762 views
Gratitude, Repairing and Avoiding Affairs
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 493 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2015 The Almanac
All rights reserved.