Disasters...Are We Prepared?

Original post made by R.GORDON on Aug 16, 2010

It seems that while we are concerned for some of the most mundane events, we have totally ignored what we would do in the event of a disaster of any sizeable proportion.
There are many private homes in Woodside and nearby towns where people have built private bunkers on rather large scales, but, for the rest of the population, what would be the plan?
To ignore the possibilities of everything from earthquakes to acts of terrorism, it seems to me, that it would not be something any of our local County leaders have addressed that I know of.
Of course, the HSR, if built, would not be of much help just as evacuation by our roads and highways would be impossible.
This is a morbid question, but one every normal person has asked themselves and then pushed into the back of their minds.
There are so many natural horrible phenomenas occuring around the globe and leaving millions homeless and hungry, I believe that we, who are sitting on one of the most well known earthquake faults in the world, should not ignore.
It does put everything into perspective when scientists have said reapeatedly, that we are 35 years overdue for a something very scary and ultimately, inevitable.
Some of us have a plan.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Aug 16, 2010 at 8:32 pm

If you want to get more information on how to be prepared join this Google Group:

Web Link

Posted by R.GORDON, a resident of another community
on Aug 17, 2010 at 10:07 am

R.GORDON is a registered user.

Peter.........My question has been pulled. Talk about being in denial.

Posted by Disaster Prone, a resident of another community
on Aug 17, 2010 at 11:23 am

Mr. Carpenter. Thanks for the web link. It really sucks though.
You have to admit it is a feeble answer even from a man who is as well read and articulate as yourself.
I think this is a more importaqnt subject than a baseball fields lites.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Aug 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Disaster Prone - I agree that this is a critically important issue.

Let me gives you some more web sites that might help:

Web Link
You will note that this was an Atherton sponsored effort and if you are prepared for a pandemic then you are well prepared for a shorter duration disaster

Web Link

Web Link

Let me know if you want more

Posted by Disaster Prone, a resident of another community
on Aug 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Mr.Carpenter. Wow, you are quick with facts. Thanks.
The only thing which looks worse than anything are recent new bacteria and viruses we have been studying.
If, in fact, we were to get all of our roads rebuilt, and the auto industry back in shape (dream on) there would be no way to catch up on the repair of our highways, roads or bridges..The Bay Bridge is one of the worst jokes in America.
I had the bad taste to see the film 2012 which is even sillier than most of the posts on Almanac, but the special effects are staggering and endless and pretty scary.
Even though it was not seen by many in theaters, it is on Dish and is so well done technically, we could each have a rocket ship in our back yards and still not have a chance against this amalgamation of Biblical/Mayan/Egyptian/Nostradamus/Armagedon/and scientific idea of the end of the world.
I would invest in a hot air balloon and probably bet shot down for blocking the sun from some angry local zealot.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Some more useful disaster preparedness web sites:

Web Link

Web Link

Web Link

Web Link

Posted by Disaster Prone, a resident of another community
on Aug 18, 2010 at 11:17 am

Thanks again for the huge list although most of them do not belong to this day and age.
We studied most of these things in a 10th grade history class of all places and saw films going back to the duck and get under the desks series the government put out. Really silly against an atomic bomb.
Most everything is meant to assuage the fears when you and I know that nothing would stop nuclear war, a huge meteor, or a man made pandemic.
Most of us in our early twenties have been resigned to a cataclysmic end and have learned to include it in our subconcious and it has created what I feel is a different mindset among my generation, who also sees a bleak future in terms of progress by our parents and the government.
The one part I liked in one of the Web Links was the edible plant life part, and the ways to heal wounds.
There is a huge gap between people 15 to 25 and parents have little or less answers and are mostly uneducated themselves.
If the BIG ONE hits in the near future is what most of us know none of the adults are prepared for except the ones who have built bunkers like the Govt. has in states and under Washington.There is a company which advertises that they have built bunker/playrooms in 85% of their homes. I will not write their names, but I know the kids of a few in Woodside and and even saw one. It is huge and like a playroom. The father of the guy said he knows of at least two dozen of his friends and I think it is creepy to want to live with just a few boring older types for not that long. Still, an earthquake of major proportions would make life impossible and escape a joke. Three friends and myself are looking to buy a hot air balloon just to price it.His family in Albuquerque use one for fun and it costs a lot.
Thanks again.

Posted by Disaster Prone, a resident of another community
on Aug 18, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I failed to mention that the bunker/player of this sort of friend which I saw, was solid concrete and must have cost a fortune. What he told me was that the nearly 1800 sq ft bunker was put in by the company he mentioned, and it was done without building codes.
His father is very rich and the supervisor at the time never did have to make one inspection. That supervisor is no longer serving and has been very quiet for some time.
There were freezers, refrigerators and water purifying systems and incredible gadgets. This was almost 5 years ago and it does show how money talks. If Jobs did it, it would be by code.

Posted by AREALSNOB, a resident of another community
on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:26 am

YOU silly people. This is more important than fences.
Whatever shall we do if anything goes wrong? Call my Vet?

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.