Bohannon sends out vicious hit pieces against Chuck Bernstein

Original post made by Morris Brown on Oct 15, 2010

Well David Bohannon has sent, through the mail, 2 vicious hit pieces that apparently were received by many Menlo Park Voters.

To view go to:

Web Link

He attacks Bernstein claiming Chuck was out to 'sabotage' his project and claims this was revealed at the Candidates forum. Here is actually what Chuck said at the forum:

"Had we voted on that [the city's new child care center], I think people would have been committed more to the outcome. I do applaud the Council for putting the Gateway project on the ballot. As I think is obvious here, I am not a supporter of that project, but what I pledge to both Mr. Bohannon and the people of Menlo Park, is that I will abide by whatever that vote shows: no more sabotage, no more
delay—move forward on the next things we have to deal with"

How Bohannon could stretch that statement into a "Bernstein is out to sabotage his project" is hard to believe.

In the other mailer, he then wants you to believe that the Menlo Park High School will lose $600,000. Hardly true, since the $600,000 is for the whole Sequoia High School district and MA High School is only one of the schools in the district and has only about 20% of the total students enrolled in the district.

Actually in this flyer Bohannon is recognizing that his earlier statement that 1.8 Million was going to the schools was in error --- really a blatant lie. So now he is down to using the right amount, but won't reveal to what schools the money will be benefiting.

So David Bohannon has sunk into the "gutter" to attack Bernstein on Schools. Chuck has devoted must of his professional life on education. Look at his credentials.

So Menlo Park voters, realize what is going on here, and reject these mailers for what they are --- smear attacks on a really outstanding candidate for Menlo Park City council.

I'm proud to be supporting Chuck Bernstein for Menlo Park City Council.

While you're at it, just Vote No on Measure T.

Chuck has issued a press release on this subject that can be found at:

Web Link

Morris Brown
Menlo Park…

Posted by Retired Teacher, a resident of Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
on Oct 16, 2010 at 6:57 am

I have received eight or more mailers from the Bohannon Corporation urging me to vote for the Gateway Project. The most recent one attempts to defame the character of the only council candidate opposed to the project using a word taken out of context at a public forum. Is Mr. Bohannon so afraid that the voters will see his project for what it is, a bad deal for the families of Menlo Park, that he is now making baseless personal attacks? Being fast and loose with the facts combined with limitless financial resources sometimes wins the day. I hope the voters will take the time to learn the truth. "Jobs", perhaps in 8 to 20 years - "Revenue", Menlo Park maybe $1.6 million annually, Mr. Bohannon $40 million annually.

Posted by Hank Lawrence, a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Oct 16, 2010 at 7:42 am

[Post removed. Personal attack.]

Posted by new guy, a resident of Menlo Park: Downtown
on Oct 16, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I received the hit piece as well.

I really do love the exploitation once again of children (this is just a bit more extreme than what our politicians and unions usually do when asking for more money). At least this time the blatant reality of: give me millions and I will give you back a few thousand is clearly spelled out. They seem to believe that Chuck is against "free money". I mean how could he be against free money?

At least Chuck understands what is going on, and I hope others do as well.

Next year I am going to put a ballot up for vote. I think I will call it the "Ferrari for me" initiative. It will not cost MP residents a dime. It will add a "fee" to new people that locate in MP. It will be for our children! FOR SCHOOLS! Schools will get some money every year "once the new revenue when new people and business move into MP - and not from MP taxpayers." (oh, and after I get my Ferrari.) I mean who could vote against that. Perhaps people that don't like children and rabbits.

Posted by Hank Lawrence, a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Oct 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm

[Post removed; personal attacks violate terms of use; try to control yourself, Hank.]

Posted by curious, a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Oct 16, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Why would Bohannon do this? His project is on the ballot. Is he that worried it will fail and he doesn't want the voters to elect someone like Chuck Bernstein with astute business sense and the willingness to say "no" unless the deal is better for Menlo Park?

Posted by Hank Lawrence, a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Oct 17, 2010 at 7:53 am

I am a life long Republican, who comes from a family of Democrats and who makes good faith efforts to seek out the best candidates. I am going to illuminate several deficiencies of the Democratic Central Committee which my critics will respond by saying ¡§he is just trying to promote the Republican Name brandƒ{ and while I generally prefer Republicans over Democrats I am coming out strongly in favor of a Democrat for the upcoming Menlo Park City Council election.

One source of our lack of qualified candidates for the Menlo Park City Council elections can be traced to the Democratic Central Committee of San Mateo County and its emissary Gail Slocum. The Democratic Central Committee has an inviolate commitment to the labor unions and that commitment is reciprocal. The Unions through forced donations from its membership contribute very handsomely to the Democratic candidates chosen by the central committee. The committee, in turn, through its endorsed candidates who hold public office (about 90%) reciprocate by bestowing egregious salaries and benefits to the employee unions that are way out of proportion to what the vast majority of hard working residents receive.

What is wrong with this picture? Several things.

1) Responsible Fiscally Responsible Democrats are shunned by their own party. For example, 3-time mayor Nicholas Jellins was hectored off the Democratic Central Committee by Gail Slocum and Kelly Fergusson. His crime? He was a member of the Democratic Leadership Council-- a moderate and responsible group and the only part of the Democratic Party that has not been co-opted by the far left elements within its structure,

2) The candidates endorsed by the Democratic Central Committee have sworn an oath to promote Union interests even at the expense of the residents whom they are sworn to serve,

3) The Central Committee candidates, once elected, follow through on their promise of allegiance to the Unions-- the residents be damned.

I commiserate with Democrats who have had their party hijacked by the far left. But they have to fight hard to reclaim their party and restore its tarnished image back to its glory days when it was once known as a party which respected individual rights and was fiscally responsible.

One way Menlo Park Democrats can regain control of their Party is to ignore the Democratic Party Central Committee endorsements and make up their own minds about which candidates can best serve Menlo Park. The best way to do that is to elect candidates who embody your values.

I have known Chuck Bernstein for 14 years. He and I disagree on many issues but here are the irrefutable facts:

1) Chuck Bernstein is honest as the day is long,

2) Chuck Bernstein does not resort to cheap theatrical tricks or deceptions to win people over to his way of thinking,

3) Chuck Bernstein does his research, uses his most excellent analytical skills, seeks out opinions from diverse groups of people, examines the pros and cons of each issue and makes an informed decision that overall benefits the people he represents,

4) Chuck Bernstein can not be bought,

5) Chuck Bernstein promotes ideas and civil discourse and not himself. He is a very humble and thoughtful person,

6) Chuck Bernstein epitomizes character, integrity, and honesty, and

7) Chuck Bernstein will work tirelessly on your behalf.

Everything I have said about Chuck Bernstein goes for Peter Ohtaki as well. My critics try to paint me as a right wing Republican. If that allegation is true, then why I am I supporting both a Democrat and Republican for City Council and why are my critics not even willing to vote for a moderate from their own party?

Respectfully,

Hank Lawrence

Posted by Sickened, a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Oct 17, 2010 at 11:53 am

I am not a Bernstein supporter and yet, I was sickened by the negative and dishonest flyer sent out by the Bohannon Campaign for Measure T. I am not voting for Bernstien because I worry that the city will stagnate under a no-growth cloud. And yet, and yet, Mr. Bernstein has educated us about the impacts of the Bohannon project and he stood up to the council when it voted 5 - 0 for a retroactive pay increase for city workers?

Mr. Bohannon has taken the road of so many nervous developers. It is disappointing that one of our own, a Menlo Park resident has thrown mud when all he had to do is tell us why his project is good for the city. I have taken a 180 degree turn and will vote against Measure T. While I will not cast my vote for Mr. Bernstein, I do thank him for his relentless hammering at the truth about the Gateway Project and the pension increases passed in 2007.

Posted by Menlo Voter, a resident of Menlo Park: other
on Oct 17, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Menlo Voter is a registered user.

Curious asks, "Why would Bohannon do this?"

Two reasons:

1. Political payback. Bernstein has been quite vocal in his opposition to Measure T and the Gateway Project.

2. Because he is trying to redirect the focus form his attempted [portion removed] of the citizens of Menlo Park to soemone or someplace else.

Vote NO on Measure T

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Gourmet hot dogs, sausage food truck coming to the Peninsula

Allowing Unauthorized Immigrants to Learn and Earn Legally Will Help the Economy
By Steve Levy | 29 comments | 2,072 views

Finding mentors in would-be bosses
By Jessica T | 0 comments | 1,247 views