Those new useless garbage cans

Original post made by Bob on Jan 7, 2011

I use (try to use) the new 20gal garbage can. After several weeks of trying to place as much garbage as I was able to place in my old round 20 gal can, my frustration has produced images of stuffing the designer of the new can into that can. Where as I'm sure the designer would easily have fit whole into the old round can I'm afraid the designer would not survive the stuffing process into the new can as dismemberment would be required to accomplish this fantasy.
With the regular household trash one has to stuff it in so hard that it gets stuck in the can and half the trash is left within after the garbage pick-up.

Posted by Joe, a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Jan 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm

The point of the smaller space in these cans, I believe, is to encourage people to recycle whenever possible.

"Garbage" is a term that will only fade as time goes on and more and more things are manufactured with recycling in mind.

Considering the amount of material that is eligible for recycling, and the fact that the agency has distributed little covered buckets for food leftovers, there should not be that much left that is simply garbage.

Posted by Bob, a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Jan 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Well Joe that comment was as useless as my posting.

Posted by Central Menlo, a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Jan 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm

As I understand Bob's point - the shape of the new 20gal can is almost unmanageable.

The things I don't recycle (cardboard, paper, glass, plastic, food scraps, paper towels, etc.), just won't fit nicely in new can design. I am sure it is a more convenient shape for pickup (lifting & dumping), but it sure doesn't work for the things that need to go in.

Every week my can looks full, but is actually, close to half-empty because the shape is so unusable.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Jan 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Cardboard, paper, glass, most plastics, and paper towels are all recyclable under the Recology program.

Posted by KD, a resident of Menlo Park: other
on Jan 10, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Peter - I believe Central Menlo was listing the items which he/she DOES recycle, not those which he/she doesn't. It's likely an optical illusion, but the new containers do not appear to hold as much as the container(s) they replaced...time will tell.

I'm wondering when I'm going to get notification of the rate increase which was noted by the press...has anyone gotten this yet?

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Jan 10, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Central Menlo stated:"The things I don't recycle (cardboard, paper, glass, plastic, food scraps, paper towels, etc.), just won't fit nicely in new can design."

Posted by Central Menlo, a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Jan 10, 2011 at 7:18 pm

KD is correct.

Posted by just trying to help, a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:46 pm

well, given the long history of one stream recycling, I was irked to discover that the help desk at recology did not know where clothing, shoes, doormats, drapery, plush dolls, or carpeting should be placed. I would think trash, but help desk did not know.

The black trach cans are honestly very awkwardly shaped, not what we in the computer industry call 'user friendly', but rather manufacturer friendly.

Posted by NoLike, a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Jan 11, 2011 at 11:31 pm

The new black 20gal cans are useless!!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.