Atherton says no to huge garbage rate hike -- for now

Original post made on Feb 17, 2011

Proposed garbage rate increases in Atherton ranging from 63 percent for using the smallest garbage cans available to 98 percent for a 96-gallon are not justifiable -- at least not with the limited information the town now has, a united City Council decided Wednesday night (Feb. 16).

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, February 17, 2011, 11:55 AM

Posted by Westerner, a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Feb 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm

After attending the council meeting last night, I was astonished at the lack of due diligence
on the part of the council to allow the ridiculous increase in rates following the December 2010 meeting at which the new rates were discussed at 16 % . How can the rates change so drastically ? Now 60 % to 90 %. This is no way to run a town.
I guess the town is too busy with other issues !!

Posted by Atlasta Voice, a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I'm dumfounded! Our City Council has actually objected to something affecting residents' pocketbooks and is conducting an invetigation. How novel! We're finally heading in a better direction, perhaps thanks to new personnel. Let's keep their feet to the fire until this and a lot more is resolved here in town.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:41 pm

The Town has a non-revocable 10 year contract which guarantees Recoloy its costs plus a profit. If Recology receive less revenues from fees than the amount due then the Town must make up the difference - this is called 'topping up'. In the past the Town has increased future fees to pay any 'topping up' charges so either we pay now or we pay later.

The current fees drastically underprice the cost of compost and recycling and give us all the option of actually lowering our bills by going to a much smaller garbage can - I have gone from a 96 gallon can to 32 gallons and will probably go down to 20. There is NO way that my $29 monthly fee for 1 small garbage, two 64 gallon recycling and three 96 gallon compost containers covers the cost of servicing those containers.

We have both a horrible contract (which cannot be changed) and a deceptively low rate schedule (which will, sooner or later, need to be changed).

Posted by Sandy Crittenden, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Feb 17, 2011 at 5:39 pm

What am I missing?
I have just checked my Allied Waste Management bills from prior years and have been paying $71.04 per quarter until last June when it was raised even higher. This works out to be $23.68 per month. I had a 30 gallon can.
Now, I am paying Recology $51.93 per quarter for garbage service. This work out to be $17.31.
I have a 20 gallon can and only put plastic bags and few other non-recyclables. The amount of actual trash has shrunk to nearly nothing. Everything else either goes into the blue can or my two green cans. All paper products go in the green can such as facial tissue, paper towels, and paper napkins in addition to all food scraps and garden clippings. Some weeks we aren't even taking the cans to the street because they are not full and we know we won't fill them for another week.
I am saving $6.37 monthly with my new service.
I admit that I do separate my garbage differently. Accepting change is hard for some but I feel the new service is less expensive, and more effort is put into recycling from Recology than before. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Feb 17, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Sandy - what you are missing is that the rates we are paying will NOT cover the fees which the Town is obligated to pay Recology. Either now or later we are going to have to pay a lot more. It is a lousy contract and there is no way for the Town to walk away from it.

Posted by Live in Lindenwood, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Feb 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Sandy,

You are absolutely right. We are doing the same. It takes some changes, but well worth it financially.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.