19-year-old man killed in Menlo Park

Original post made on Aug 19, 2011

Menlo Park police responding to a report of gunshots on Thursday night found a 19-year-old man, Carl Purvis Jr., dead behind the wheel of his car.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, August 19, 2011, 9:30 AM

Posted by Dawn, a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Aug 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I sure hope to see a stepped up police presence after this. I don't want whatever is going on in EPA to bleed over into Belle Haven. I've only been there for 4 years, but this happened on a street I drive down regularly at a time when I often am. I'd like to hold on to what I hope isn't a delusional sense of safety in my neighborhood.

Posted by Bob, a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Aug 19, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Much more info here

Web Link

including -
He was about 20 years old and had a year-old daughter, according to one woman, who did not want to be identified.

At one point a man identified by neighbors as Carl Purvis, the victim's father, pulled up on Pierce Road in a black GMC 1500 truck. He jumped out of the vehicle, ducked under the tape and moved quickly toward his son's car and body. About 10 officers quickly surrounded the father, who continued to push toward his son. Officers forced the man to the ground and handcuffed him before

View Menlo Park homicide in a larger map
putting him into a squad car as witnesses screamed in horror.

"That's his son!" yelled one woman.

The man was released 20 minutes later from the police car.

Posted by Hmmm, a resident of another community
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Dawn - spillover from EPA? You have your OWN problems in BH & some of them bleed over into EPA - literally. And the reverse is true, too. Don't blame EPA for problems in your own area. [Portion removed: unsubstantiated allegation.]

Posted by observation, a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Hmmm.....you bit "Taxpayer's" line. Be more creative.

Posted by Hmmm, a resident of another community
on Aug 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Observation - I liked what taxpayer wrote - why not? Was it wrong? It wasn't their line - it was a crime report. Of course, since it's not clear they were the same person, the editor removed that portion of my previous post. Do you think it's not the same guy? If not, maybe the parents of the 2 men w/the same name are the ones who need to be more creative!

Yes, MV, if they're the same men, up to no good, he played the odds & lost. We won't likely find out via this pub if they're the same person and/or what the victim's background was or why he was killed. I feel bad for his child - the innocents always suffer.

MV, did you read any of the comments from the vitim's loved ones on other forums? Interesting.

Bottom line: I'm glad no one else was injured, I am sorry for his child & any other innocents who loved him & I hope the killer(s) get(s) caught asap.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Gourmet hot dogs, sausage food truck coming to the Peninsula

Allowing Unauthorized Immigrants to Learn and Earn Legally Will Help the Economy
By Steve Levy | 36 comments | 2,486 views

Finding mentors in would-be bosses
By Jessica T | 0 comments | 1,577 views