19-year-old man killed in Menlo Park

Original post made on Aug 19, 2011

Menlo Park police responding to a report of gunshots on Thursday night found a 19-year-old man, Carl Purvis Jr., dead behind the wheel of his car.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, August 19, 2011, 9:30 AM

+   Like this comment
Posted by Dawn
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Aug 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I sure hope to see a stepped up police presence after this. I don't want whatever is going on in EPA to bleed over into Belle Haven. I've only been there for 4 years, but this happened on a street I drive down regularly at a time when I often am. I'd like to hold on to what I hope isn't a delusional sense of safety in my neighborhood.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Bob
on Aug 19, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Much more info here

Web Link

including -
He was about 20 years old and had a year-old daughter, according to one woman, who did not want to be identified.

At one point a man identified by neighbors as Carl Purvis, the victim's father, pulled up on Pierce Road in a black GMC 1500 truck. He jumped out of the vehicle, ducked under the tape and moved quickly toward his son's car and body. About 10 officers quickly surrounded the father, who continued to push toward his son. Officers forced the man to the ground and handcuffed him before

View Menlo Park homicide in a larger map
putting him into a squad car as witnesses screamed in horror.

"That's his son!" yelled one woman.

The man was released 20 minutes later from the police car.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Hmmm
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Dawn - spillover from EPA? You have your OWN problems in BH & some of them bleed over into EPA - literally. And the reverse is true, too. Don't blame EPA for problems in your own area. [Portion removed: unsubstantiated allegation.]

+   Like this comment
Posted by observation
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Hmmm.....you bit "Taxpayer's" line. Be more creative.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Hmmm
on Aug 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Observation - I liked what taxpayer wrote - why not? Was it wrong? It wasn't their line - it was a crime report. Of course, since it's not clear they were the same person, the editor removed that portion of my previous post. Do you think it's not the same guy? If not, maybe the parents of the 2 men w/the same name are the ones who need to be more creative!

Yes, MV, if they're the same men, up to no good, he played the odds & lost. We won't likely find out via this pub if they're the same person and/or what the victim's background was or why he was killed. I feel bad for his child - the innocents always suffer.

MV, did you read any of the comments from the vitim's loved ones on other forums? Interesting.

Bottom line: I'm glad no one else was injured, I am sorry for his child & any other innocents who loved him & I hope the killer(s) get(s) caught asap.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Grab a Bowl of Heaven soon in Mountain View

Don't fund the rape culture at my alma mater
By Jessica T | 36 comments | 2,461 views