Ghysels' Leadership in the MPCSD

Original post made by Concerned Member of the MPCSD Community on Feb 11, 2012

There have recently been several posts on other threads regarding the maangement style of Maurice Ghysels. As noted by Carl, a "toxic leader" is defined as a person who demonstrates, "a condescending/glib attitude, poor self-control, physical and/or psychological bullying, discriminatory attitudes, aggressive narcissism, glibness/superficial charm, a grandiose sense of self-worth, a lack of empathy, and a failure to accept responsibility for own actions."

Toxic leaders first charm but then manipulate, mistreat, undermine and ultimately leave their followers worse off than they found them. The School Board needs to take a close, honest look at the superintendent by seeking input from parents and staff.

Posted by real person, a resident of Menlo Park: other
on Feb 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I have attended school board meeting with both the previous superintendent and Maurice Ghysels. Maurice is full of energy and professional. I also attended an education foundation event where Maurice gave a presentation. I remember coming away thinking that we were extremely lucky to have such an intelligent and talented individual to be our superintendent.

Posted by Very Afraid, a resident of Menlo Park: Felton Gables
on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Dear Board,
Please ask around many are afraid to come forward, we encourage you to do so. Watching good long term educators and others treated with such disrespect is unbelievable. We all are watching in fear that we are next to suffer his rath if we even think about disagreeing with his Leadership.
Afraid

Posted by Elaine, a resident of another community
on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:38 am

It's deja-vu of his time in Mountain View. Only now it would appear he has learned to keep himself out of the press. I hate to say it, but we told you so...

Posted by Seth, a resident of Portola Valley: other
on Feb 20, 2012 at 8:17 pm

When I hear Maurice Ghysles' name come up I just cringe with amazement of how such a [word removed -- please avoid name-calling] can fool so many people. He does put on a good show.

Posted by Parent, a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:36 pm

After interacting with this superintendent on several occasions I have walked away with a sense that he will say whatever it is you want to hear, only with his spin attached to it. He loves to spout ideas about leadership and corporate management, but I sense it's only a regurgitation of the latest fad. Not impressed, particularly given the money being spent on him. I also am a bit perplexed how he was hired after leaving Mountain View under such a cloud. I question his judgement overall.

Posted by Liz, a resident of another community
on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Hey Menlo Park:

What was your superintendent doing attending our Mountain View School District fund raiser last Saturday night? Really weird if you ask me. Talk about a lack of class. He waltzes in like he still in charge. Boy did he get the gossip going again like old times. And here I thought we were rid of him. Toxic leader for sure.

Posted by Appalled, a resident of Menlo Park: other
on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I had heard great things about Mr. Ghysles when he first arrived. Since then, I have lost much respect for the man who leads this district. What is worse is that I am losing confidence in the School Board, who I understand chose him without any input from our community or the staff.

What has happened to our great district leadership?

The past couple years has seen a loss in good administrators; I just hope better decisions are to come before we lose the talented teachers Menlo Park is known for.

Posted by input, a resident of Menlo Park: Felton Gables
on Mar 27, 2012 at 10:24 am

The school board had input, but they ignored it. They uniformly insisted that all the negative info about Ghysels was just unfounded gossip and that all his references checked out brilliantly. How much redder did those flags need to be?

Posted by Smart Gal, a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Apr 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm

We have friends who work for the District and the stories we hear are very sad. It sounds to my husband and I like this guy is causing so much disruption in the administration that he is tearing the district apart. So sad the board should get this guy in line ASAP before he ruins a great organization.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.