Dozens return home after water recedes following EPA flooding

Original post made on Dec 24, 2012

About 36 people who had reported to an evacuation center due to flooding in East Palo Alto returned home late Sunday night, according to a Red Cross spokesman.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, December 24, 2012, 8:23 AM

+   Like this comment
Posted by Hmmm
on Dec 24, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I don't think it jumped the banks at W. Bayshore. We were able to drive back & forth along that stretch of road all evening. There was a badly flooded area at the 101/Embarcadero West exit that closed the road & there was the flooding on 101. We thought it had to do w/drainage of the creek & storm drains perhaps. It did jump the banks in front of The Four Seasons & that stretch of Woodland flooded, but w/in a coule hours it was gone, leaving only mud.

A friend doing emergency services work last night told us that there was a mandatory evac in The Gardens neighborhood on the east side last night, in addition to the voluntary evac.

We were able to tell that there wouldn't be flooding requiring evacuation in our area lady night, as long as the creek walls remained solid. The water rose very quickly during low tide. A waxing moon & high tide combo at that time would've made it all worse.

The scary parts about yesterday: no sandbags available in EPA, not a cop or fire rep or city council person or county rep in sight. We are utterly disgusted by the lack of care.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Just saying
on Dec 24, 2012 at 4:48 pm

About 20 volunteers from Menlo Park were filling sandbags in East Palo Alto all afternoon today. A unit from the Conservation Corps is there now continuing the work. No one from East Palo Alto was helping out, but I am sure they were busy, given that it's Christmas eve. So there is no "lack of care" though it would be nice if the residents pitched in too instead of depending on the generosity of others.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Hmmm
on Dec 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Of course there is "lack of care"- that is why I wrote my post. Sandbags today = too little, too late for what was needed yesterday. I've volunteered numerous times in EPA filling sandbags. It's not your job, nor mine - we volunteer. It's not your fault my city was so ill-prepared yesterday that there was no sand available to us. We checked several times for sandbags yesterday, to no avail. There were no updates on city or county websites or the FB pages - inexcusable.

Fwiw, please keep in mind that it's likely no EPA volunteers today was largely due in part to no Internet access. My neighbors literally had no idea there is an online creek monitor, alert system or email list that can help. I tried explaining, in Spanish & English, to a bunch of neighbors last night about online resources re floods & they had no idea. Some of them read the postal mailings from the police re sandbags, but that's no help when there are none when needed.

It's also likely that the EPA residents not working today w/Internet access didn't get an email asking for help in time. Since it's Christmas Eve, many aren't online, but are engaged in family &/or church activities.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Hmmm
on Dec 24, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I also want to mention, re "depending on generosity of others" is a crock. Pali Altans don't fill their own bags, btw. Most EPA residents will have no idea who filled their sandbags & they're not depending on you to do it since its normally self-serve. Why can't you merely do something nice w/out snarking at strangers? Did anyone force you to be there? Have you NEVER been the recipient of someone else's generosity? Of course you have. Merry Christmas!

+   Like this comment
Posted by Just saying
on Dec 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I only posted here in response to your comment about lack of care. People do care. There were many volunteers from Menlo Park working until midnight last night on behalf of East Palo Alto. A "thank you" would not hurt. (That's generally what I say when someone does something nice for me, rather than criticizing them.)

This is the Menlo Park forum, by the way. I don't know what people do in Palo Alto, but we do fill our own sandbags here.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Hmmm
on Dec 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm

It's not a Menlo Park forum. If you're a city or county official, EPA cop - yeah, I was criticizing you. Are you any of those? What did you do last night to help?

+   Like this comment
Posted by Just saying
on Dec 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Why shouldn't employees be home with their families on a Sunday night? It's not as if they could stop the rain and many live far away. Isn't it enough that so many volunteers from menlo park were helping? Can you imagine epa residents volunteering in our part of town? Sad that neighborliness doesn't go both ways, and some people will never be satisfied!

+   Like this comment
Posted by Hmmm
on Dec 24, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Your attitude is sad. I'm part of a group that volunteers all over Menlo & have been doing so for years; the majority of us are in EPA or are from there. What are the needs in Menlo that require more volunteers? You just want to be righteous & have EPA residents shower you w/gratitude for giving up a few hours of your time. Grow up & lose the attitude.

The point is, the city should've been prepared w/sandbags for LAST NIGHT so that when employees left for the weekend & their vacations, they left supplies on hand for dangerous potential incidents like last night's. It's inexcusable. I also happen to know that a number of city employes live locally. If my city had done their part, you wouldn't be trying to squeeze gratitude from people who have no clue how you spent your time today. The creek runs ALL THROUGH EPA & isn't going anywhere. Our city leaders & municipal & county employees need to get their act together. For example, the county volunteer I know wasn't notified til 10pm last night - after the high tide was over & the waters had been receding for an hour.

I Told My Mom She's Dying