Stogner recall threat with Horsely leads to San Mateo taxpayers saving $$$

Original post made by Thank you Michael Stogner, another community, on Jan 11, 2013

Thank you Michael Stogner.

Because Michael Stogner had the courage to take on Supervisor Don Horsely, and threaten to recall him unless he rescinded his broken campaign promise to take nearly $150K/year in salary and benefits, today Don Horsely announced he was backing down and keeping his promise.

Thank you, Mr. Horsely, for doing the right thing.

Thank you very much, Mr. Stogner, for showing this leadership.

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Jan 11, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Yes, thank you Mr. Stogner.

Posted by 0.0075%
on Jan 11, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I don't care if Don gets paid or not, that $150,000 is 0.0075% of the county budget.

It takes a lot more courage to put your name on the ballot every election.

Posted by Michael G Stogner
on Jan 11, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Supervisor Don Horsley's statement.

"I made a commitment to forgo the salary and I will keep that commitment,"

Posted by Thank you Michael Stogner
on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm

0.0075% –†It certainly does. I believe I thanked both Mr. Horsely, and Mr. Stogner, who have both shown that courage, and have both wound up doing the right thing here.

Posted by POGO
a resident of Woodside: other
on Jan 12, 2013 at 9:33 am

Yes, it takes courage - and a big ego - to put your name on the ballot.

But people elect their officials based on the representations those candidates make and what they stand for. It takes honesty and integrity to honor those promises.

Posted by Hmmm
on Jan 12, 2013 at 12:48 pm

If Supervisor Horsley is reading this, this is what I want him to know: I'm actually sorry that it came down to this. I'm sorry Mr. Horsley's mother-in-law needs care & I'm sorry that he made that sort of promise. Frankly, he could've announced that he needed to break his promise & explain why. It's the sneaky sneak actions & seemingly cavalier attitude & promise breaking that I object to. I've worked close enough to one of the supervisors & staff on local issues a few years back that I know how hard they work, so I certainly don't begrudge them their salary.

Thank you, Mr. Stogner, for making Mr. Horsley accountable for his actions & thank you, Mr. Horsley, for honoring your promise. Please note for the future, it's not about the money!

Posted by POGO
a resident of Woodside: other
on Jan 12, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Hmmm -

I'm totally in awe. You captured this PERFECTLY.

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Jan 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Hmmm:

I agree with POGO. Well stated.

Posted by Hmmm
on Jan 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Oh, thanks, POGO! That's really nice to know. I'll be honest: as much as Mr. Horsley's smug mug bugs me at times, I know the supervisors work hard. Having aging parents is not easy & I dread that future time. His MIL needing care makes him more human to me, which I think is a good thing. I also hope that he learns to be more forthcoming & not make such cavalier, open-ended promises. His constituents might be busy, but we're not stupid & we don't want to be "handled" or blown off. Moreover, I get so focused on my professional, personal & community responsibilities that I don't always pay attention to the county goings-on. I *really* appreciate Mr. Stogner's doing so.

Another aspect of all of this which I value: it brings together county residents from many walks of life, varying demographics & differing state/national political perspectives who see eye to eye on necessary standards for local politicians.

Posted by Hmmm
on Jan 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Thanks, MV! I hope that 2013 is being good to you thus far.

Posted by Harriet
on Jan 12, 2013 at 8:04 pm

If you make a promise back it up and stand up to it! Don't weasel out of it. We have enough of these kindS in WASHINGTON!!!

Posted by Michael G Stogner
on Jan 13, 2013 at 8:41 am

Wonderful outcome, a win win for all of San Mateo County.

The only reporter to contact me was Bonnie Eslinger she was also the reporter to write the words Broken Promise. Other stories stated he was now going to accept his well deserved salary. After reading those stories I felt like sending Don a Thank You card for doing all of us a favor by accepting the salary. After reading Bonnie's story I sent him the e-mail.

Web Link