Menlo Park fire chief returns home after fall

Original post made on Jul 24, 2013

After three decades in a career that saw him deployed for 9/11, the Oklahoma City bombing, Katrina and local emergencies too numerous to count, the fire chief of the Menlo Park Fire Protection District is used to saving lives rather than being saved.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 11:26 PM

Posted by Charles Marsala
on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:04 am

Harold,

Best wishes for your recovery and future. I know all you have done to save so many lives over the years including my home town of New Orleans after Katerina.

The foundation you laid in Menlo has improved the lives of not only the present but future generations.

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:16 am

Best wishes to you Chief. I hope you get back to work at the fire department. You've got a great organization there.

Posted by Len Chesmore
on Jul 24, 2013 at 9:44 am

Harold, The entire US&R community is there at your side hoping your health will continue to improve and you will be able to realize your dreams. Thanks for all that you have done in serving the public.

Posted by Hmmm
on Jul 24, 2013 at 9:50 am

What a terrifying, humbling, painful & confusing experience. I've been thinking of the Chief and his family ever since I heard this bad news.

Here in E. Palo Alto, we're lucky to have such a great team of expert fire/safety personnel.

As one who recently recovered from a very serious illness, I know how strange it is to suddenly rely, 24/7, on others for your every day needs & well-being.

Continuing to send healing vibes your way, Chief, & wishing your family well.

Posted by Carol Butler
on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Harold,

Not a day goes by that I haven't thought of you and think howmGod let this happen to you. But He knew what He was doing as He got a guy that will show Him who's Boss and get back at living a full life. You are one very special man and have always been there to help others. I know your tough spirit will help you through this and will see you back at a lot of your routine.

I think we need to get you on a local TV show as that was always your thing. Remember Hollywood Harold loves the camera and the camera loves you. Keep up the good and hard work. I've bet the Exacta on you and in my heart you are always a winner.

Would love to get a visit in with you in the future! Go get em' Chief!

Love,
Carol

Posted by Retired AC USAR4 Rich Brown
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Harold,

Continue to share your knowledge for many years to come. I hope you decide to pursue making FEMA, USAR and the fire service a better and more cohesive marriage. Politics might be that venue!

Praying for way bro!

Rich Brown

Posted by Mrs. B.
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Chief Schapelhouman, you are inspirational whether you are standing up or seated in a wheelchair. Your leadership is needed here, in whatever way you decide to move in your public service career. My most sincere best wishes for your recovery.

Posted by SteveC
on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:08 pm

SteveC is a registered user.

May you have a speedy recovery.

Posted by M Bentovoja
on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:43 pm

You've always been a great example of character and integrity, the fall and wheel chair haven't change that! You and Lada are in our thoughts and prayers.

-MB

Posted by Liz Hutnick
on Jul 24, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Thoughts are with you, Harold. You are a wise teacher, inspiring leader, and an awesome person. Keep on improving and getting better, I know you can do it.

Posted by Rick Martinez, Retired Fire Chief - Sacramento
on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:56 am

Harold,

I'm thinking of you and your family and praying for the best in your recovery. You have been a good friend and an even better firefighter.

Rick Martinez

Posted by jake
on Jul 25, 2013 at 12:33 pm

hope he heals but he needs to step away from Menlo Fire. The organization is running better without him. Not harsh, just honest.

Posted by Michael Thomas
on Jul 25, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Harold, As I reflect on our first meet, PG&E plant.USAR Training area. I still remember you and Ben preaching. Safety. Yet, as Fire professional we sometime focus on the lives of others. You are a true Fire Professional who gives his all. I saw, and know this first hand. I do wish you a speedy recovery. Stay focus my dear friend, keep your had up and may God bless you and your family.

Chief Thomas
CDCR

Posted by SteveC
on Jul 25, 2013 at 3:34 pm

SteveC is a registered user.

Mmmm, Jake a MPFD fireman?? always one in every article

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?