Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Jan 1, 2014
Air pollution is really awful this week. From the Dumbarton Bridge, we can see how brown it is all over Silicon Valley. Please don't start a fire until the next rain. Thank you.
Why not take some measurements to see if wood smoke actually significantly contributes? The air quality seems rather bad with wood smoke getting its unfair share of the blame.
Everything we know about tobacco smoke is also true of wood smoke--they contains hundreds of the same toxic and cancer-causing chemicals including lead, mercury, benzene, formaldehyde, arsenic, carbon monoxide, and more. WHY say "Don't burn until the next rain" and so forth? Why not say "Don't burn wood period." Especially around schools and parks where children live and are trying to breathe. Asthma is the number one reason for school absenteeism. They need our help!
The Air Quality Board has already measured the components of average winter air in the Bay Area during hi pressure inversions like we're currently experiencing. The #1 pollutant at 35% is wood smoke, followed in a distant second by car exhaust at 15%.
The numbers obviously fluctuate over the course of the day but it's clear that wood smoke is the prime contributor.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Freebirds Palo Alto shutters, Pieology to move in
By Elena Kadvany | 12 comments | 3,083 views
A Glimpse into local HS Suicide
By Chandrama Anderson | 6 comments | 2,129 views
Deny the 429 Univ Ave Project Appeal
By Steve Levy | 7 comments | 1,290 views
Now Playing - Your Dinner!
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 905 views
Water War & Peace
By Paul Bendix | 1 comment | 306 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2015 The Almanac
All rights reserved.