Menlo Park: Cafe Zoe faces uncertain future

Original post made on Feb 11, 2014

The Willows neighborhood may need to fight for Cafe Zoe, a popular community hangout, as the landlord of Menalto Corners has put the building up for sale.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 7:24 AM

+   Like this comment
Posted by whatever
on Feb 11, 2014 at 9:24 am

"Who cares?" the landlord replied when asked why he decided to list the property and what would happen to the tenants. "Why do you want to know my business? They probably will need to move. I don't care about Cafe Zoe."

Well, he is right, it's his business. But it is so refreshing to hear directly from compassionate local landlords. Next time Mr. Zelkin a short "no comment" to the press would be advisable.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Hmmm
on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:22 am

So is the sale price higher than it might have been due to the success of Menalto Corners that these local businesses have created?

[Part removed. Avoid insults, please.]

+   Like this comment
Posted by Rev. Amy Zucker Morgenstern
on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:25 am

I'm a minister of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto and just began holding "community office hours," a drop-in hour once a week at a rotation of local cafes. On the recommendation of a member of the church, I made Cafe Zoe my fourth-Friday location, and from 3-4 on a recent Friday, four of us ate and drank and enjoyed the ambiance there. I'll be really sorry if it goes, and I wish the landlord would include community value in his calculations. Cafe Zoe clearly does.

Of course I understand that he does need to earn some money--is he currently losing money on the building?

+   Like this comment
Posted by Cafe Zoe Fan
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Feb 11, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Hmmmm, you are so right. It has been Cafe Zoe that has made the Menalto retail strip so popular. Cafe Zoe is the anchor tenant and because of it, the value of the building has doubled. Because of the success of the Menalto Cleaners, La Hacienda grocery store and the other new businesses, our neighborhood has done away with the blight that we once knew as the Menalto strip mall.

$1.4M is probably too high for a building constructed right after WWI and for which the current owner paid $685K in 2000. If upgrades have been made, no doubt it has been the tenants who paid for them.

Sad story but, one we know.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Conscience
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Mr zelnick's comments are pretty pathetic considering that three years ago he couldnt unload the menalto property for less than the price he is currently asking. Cafe zoe has been a "destination" in the willows and greatly enhanced his property value and he hasnt kicked in a penny. Shame on him!

If there is a new owner, let's hope they have greater wisdom than zelnick has demonstrated. And recognize the value of our small businesses and Cafe Zoe in particular.

+   Like this comment
Posted by boxer
a resident of Willow Oaks Elementary
on Feb 11, 2014 at 8:07 pm

boxer is a registered user.

I am the owner of this property witch i own since 2000,and I like to keep this as long as my health will aloud.Cafe at this location bean my project from the very beginning i bean denied use permit for cafe as a nuance to the neiborhood,only after the appeal to city consul i received the permit to allow the cafe to be built in this place.Over five years ago the cafe bean sold to Kathleen Daly.I support her great work any way a can, improvements, pick up her utility bills,help with any work she needed,so you can understand my surprise when Kathleen told me she is putting the cafe for sale.At the end of October i meet her broker TOOD MOORE and agree to long term lease to make her sale to her favor. To loose a tenant like Kathleen been real blow to me.So at the begging of the year i put the property for sale and hope to enjoy my retirement.I do not have any intention to evict anybody of my wonderful tenants.To stay on month to month leases it was they wish. IT IS VERY SAD TO HERE SUCH COMMENTS AFTER PUTTING SUCH HARD WORK, TIME, MONEY FOR ALMOST FIFTEEN YEARS TO MAKE MENALTO CORNERS WHAT IT IS TODAY.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Early Decision Blues
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 2,340 views

One night only: ‘Occupy the Farm’ screening in Palo Alto
By Elena Kadvany | 1 comment | 2,199 views

What Are Menlo Park’s Priorities?
By Erin Glanville | 37 comments | 1,531 views

Death with Dignity

Are you considering a remodel?
By Stuart Soffer | 1 comment | 253 views