Shirley Temple Black dies at her home in Woodside

Original post made on Feb 11, 2014

Shirley Temple Black died Monday night at her home in Woodside. She was 85.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 8:47 AM

+   Like this comment
Posted by Dennis Anderson
on Feb 11, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Shirley Temple -- America's Sweetheart -- woke me up in bed one morning!

It was about 7 a,m, on a Saturday, and the Redwood City Tribune had gone to press about five hours earlier. I was city editor.
Mrs. Black telephoned me to complain that we had associated her with the wrong charity in a story in that morning's newspaper.

I have forgotten the details, but who forgets being awakened in bed at home by the once most popular movie star in America!

+   Like this comment
Posted by Second generation fan
on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Thank you, Shirley Temple, for the countless hours of joy you created and leave behind. More than that, thank you for the example of a life well lived.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Frank Atkinson
on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Dennis Anderson, is that you (former sports writer for the Redwood City Tribune)?. Hope you remember me as an old M-A jock.

I saw Mrs. Black at my home on Eleanor Drive often. She was my mother's bridge partner. This was in the late 50's.

+   Like this comment
Posted by FM
on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I remember seeing Shirley Temple Black dining at the O'Mei restaurant and in line at Draeger's.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Martin Engel
a resident of Menlo Park: Park Forest
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:53 pm

A year younger than Ms. Black, I remember my father taking me to my first movie, in Ludwigshafen, Germany. I must have been four or five. It was "The Little Colonel" and probably had been dubbed into German although I can't recall that. I do remember that I was dazzled by the entire experience. Shirley Temple was my wonderful introduction to cinema, which I have loved all my life. Those too young to have seen early Shirley Temple films of the '30s would be amazed to see the enormous talent and charisma displayed by this precocious prodigal performer.

Thank you, Shirley Temple Black.

+   Like this comment
Posted by roc
on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:54 am

A beautiful person. A life well lived. Thank you for the inspiration you had provided to millions around the world.

From Roc, in Malaysia.