Menlo Park man dies of burns from fireworks explosion in Arizona

Original post made on Mar 5, 2014

Randy Mark Feldman of Menlo Park died on Feb. 27 in a Las Vegas hospital from severe burns suffered when fireworks in the trunk of a car exploded Feb. 12 in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, March 5, 2014, 6:12 PM

+   Like this comment
Posted by A Tragedy
on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Randy:

I am in shock. We will miss you.

+   Like this comment
Posted by A Friend
on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I'm very sad to hear this news. Randy was a kind man. My prayers go out to his family.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Hmmm
on Mar 6, 2014 at 9:16 pm

This is horrifying! I am so very sorry. My condolences to his loved ones. What a terrible tragedy. May he rest in peace.

+   Like this comment
Posted by A Tragedy
on Mar 7, 2014 at 4:52 am

Randy's identical twin brother was with him when the explosion occurred, but he was not hurt.

+   Like this comment
Posted by A tragedy
on Mar 8, 2014 at 2:51 am

Randy's peers who were at the fireworks show he and his twin were attending have much more information about the accident and what might have caused it than the papers. Apparently the exhaust pipe on their car got damaged by a rock at a show. The Mercedes dealer declined to fix it, so they put wire around it. Rand's peers were discussing this on a pyrotechnic forum right after the accident occurred on February 12, 2014.

Web Link
Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:42 PM
Dag,

No, according to Pete's post it was Randy Feldman

I have a little more information. Randy and his twin brother had been out at the event site in their car, a Merc, and damaged the exhaust on a rock. They left the site and went to the local Mercedes dealer to try and get it fixed. The dealer declined, on the grounds that the catalytic converter was aftermarket and not a genuine Merc part. We believe they fixed up the pipe themselves with wire and were driving back when the car caught fire. Randy ran clear at first, but then went back to the car and opened the trunk. His last words before they anesthetized him were apparently "I shouldn't have done that ... I shouldn't have done that"
We don't have a lot more info at the moment. I was told Randy's burns may be 60%, and he has debris embedded in the wounds. The risk of infection is high and he may lose his life. When I get back to Vegas I plan on visiting him, if they'll let me.