Residents warned against telephone scam

Original post made on May 1, 2014

Residents are once again being warned to be aware of fraudulent phone calls from people claiming to be with the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 3:28 PM

+   Like this comment
Posted by lizzie
a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on May 1, 2014 at 10:23 am

That is the same scam I read on Web Link. Based on the posts, the scammer poses as a deputy sheriff and claims that the victim failed to appear for jury duty. The scammer then asks the victim to pay the fee, or face jail time. But the call is a bluff and anyone who gets such a call is advised to hang up and report it.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Sam
a resident of Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
on May 1, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I wonder if the scammers get paid on commission.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Cautious
a resident of Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
on May 1, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Here's another scam. I got a call Tuesday from a woman who told me that my husband's Wells Fargo ATM card was used at Best Buy for a $5,000 purchase. I was given a number to call. My husband was not at home so I began dialing the number when I realized that the first question would ask for the account number. I hung up and called our local Wells Fargo branch.

The bank reminded me that we closed the account in February 2014.

I was surprised that Wells Fargo didn't want the phone number I was given by the "Wells Fargo Fraud Unit." So, I presumed there would be no follow up. I called the bank and gave them the number and asked them to report the incident to the Palo Alto and/or Menlo Park police.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Sheldon Kay
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on May 1, 2014 at 1:16 pm

That is why there is so much of this crime going on. The banks and credit card companies don't care to do anything about it. Too expensive. The actual fraud hardly cost them anything.

+   Like this comment
Posted by SteveC
on May 1, 2014 at 2:33 pm

SteveC is a registered user.

Rule #1. Call the police and report it yourself. If the bank isn't helpful call the police and close all accounts at the bank. Very simple. Do not relay on others to do what you should do yourself.