San Mateo County Supervisor Carole Groom lied says Ling La

Original post made by Michael G. Stogner, another community, on May 8, 2014

Sam Trans Whistleblower Ling La responds to Carole Groom's comment from a candidate interview this week.

San Mateo County has a Whistleblower Policy that had Ling La contact Carole Groom about her fraud allegations at SamTrans, Carole Groom is on the Board for SamTrans and should have recused herself, she didn't.

Web Link

Posted by Answer
a resident of Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
on May 8, 2014 at 7:45 am

Good for whistleblower Ling La!! She has GUTS and GUMPTION. Very surprising that the Merc reported on this. Well, the times they are a changing, let's hope.

Mark De Paula, who is running against Groom needs to run with this issue:

I find Groom's response - and her subsequent excuses to the paper- to be shocking.

Excerpt:

"She's a liar, that's all I can say," Ling La said Wednesday in a phone interview. A recording of the voice message Groom left backs her claim, said La, who filed her suit in U.S. District Court on April 16.

"The voicemail just speaks for itself. She told me she wished me luck and work with HR, and that tells me that she doesn't want to bother with me."

In a one-minute message on July 2, 2013 that The Daily News listened to, Groom states:

"Hi this is Carole Groom, the chair of the SamTrans board, you left me a message. I want to tell you that I have talked to the senior, the executives at SamTrans and found out a little bit about this. And my message to you is, in fact I urge you, to continue to work with the HR department to resolve some of these issues and I, that's the course that you should follow. I urge you to visit with the HR department and read the report that had been issued upon some of the claims that you had made. I urge you to do that, I think that's the best course of action. Thank you very much for calling me and I wish you well. Bye bye."

In that message, Groom didn't leave any contact numbers.

When called Wednesday, Groom said that's not how she remembered the conversation.

"I apologize if I misled," Groom said. "I really have no recollection of that."

Posted by Answers
a resident of Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
on May 8, 2014 at 7:58 am

Some comments are beginning to trickle in under the Merc. story. Darlene Flaim- who has posted comments here at the Almanac- posted this comment today:

"Higher authorities outside of CA should be investigating what appears to be rampant corruption throughout San Mateo County local government. Part of the problem appears to be voters are not getting rid of those elected officials who are incompetent (or even a Sherriff found in a whorehouse by the FBI) and even some others who may be violating rules regarding vendors collecting money for county-related services....where's the oversight?
Come on citizens, raise your voice and make some changes in June 2014!"

Posted by Headline
on May 8, 2014 at 8:21 am

Although I'm happy the Mercury ran this story, the headline is misleading. The Mercury actually VERIFIED Groome lied by comparing her endorsement interview answer to the actual voice mail recording Ling La has. It's not just an allegation by Ling La.

Posted by Scott
a resident of Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
on May 8, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Wait - the issue is Supervisor Groom said she left her call back number, but did not? That's the big lie?

You can get it on Google.

I don't see any corruption here.

on May 8, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Scott, the both phone numbers is just one of the issues, Ling La was reporting massive fraud millions and was told to contact Supervisor Carole Groom, She told Ling to work it out with HR, after she had contacted the management of SamTrans.

This might help….Web Link

Posted by Read the article
a resident of Atherton: other
on May 9, 2014 at 1:56 am

Scott:

You must not have read the story. Ling la called a whistle blowerre hot line. The hot line transferred her call to Carol Groom. Carol Groom told the paper that she then called La and said she could help her.

Turns out that Groome DIDNT help. In the voice mail she tells her that this was strictly an HR issue and that La needed to deal with this problem with HR.

She completely lied about what she told La.

Posted by Anne
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on May 10, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I really think Carol Groom should retire.

Posted by Menlo Voter
on May 10, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Carole Groom should be thrown out of office.

Posted by Send her packing
on May 11, 2014 at 12:49 am

If there's a Nobel Prize for wagon circling, Carole Groom should win, hands down.

I'd like to think our elected representatives could be doing more for us than constantly covering for their fellow cronies at the public trough. Wagstaffe for Munks, Groom for both of them, Horsley for Groom, Groom for Horsley, Munks for Bolanos...

Talk about a vicious circle.

Posted by Anne
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on May 11, 2014 at 10:15 am

Let's face it Carole Groom is senile. Also, there is way too much back scratching in our county.

on May 11, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Dave Pine gave a great speech to the Board of Supervisors about why the VOTERS of San Mateo County should have picked who replaced Jerry Hill. The man behind Dave with the tie on is very uncomfortable with this subject. He is also the reason Carole Groom was appointed by 3 Supervisors, one who herself was appointed.

Web Link

Thank You, Dave Pine for trying.

Posted by Thank you
on May 11, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Who is the man with the tie?

Jon Mays, editor of the San Mateo Daily Journal ,endorsed Carole Grion. Why?

Does the Almanac endorse candidates?

on Nov 23, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Michael G. Stogner is a registered user.

The man in the tie with glasses is Bill Nack of Labor.

He is one of only a couple of people in the entire County that did not favor the voters filling this position, The other person was Shelly Kessler also of labor imagine that.

on Jul 27, 2015 at 11:04 am

Thank You and Congratulations to Whistleblower Ling La.

Her lawsuit is complete she can move on now. Don't ask her any questions about the lawsuit she won't be able to talk about it. That is how our system works The Taxpayers always pay the price for the misconduct, not the people who are responsible for the misconduct.

Look to see how much the law firm representing SamTrans billed.

on Jul 30, 2015 at 7:27 pm

SamTrans Whistleblower Ling La not only said San Mateo County Supervisor Carole Groom Lied to 2 reporters she PROVED it.

Why is Carole Groom still a Supervisor today?

on Jul 30, 2015 at 7:37 pm

I am glad to hear about Ms.Ling La's settlement with SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN.
Supervisor Carole Groom should resign from office.
She lied in the endorsement interview about Ms. Ling La, thank goodness for Ms. La's voicemail recording.
I am glad I brought up Ms. La's issues during the endorsement interview.

on Jul 30, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Thank You Mark DePaula for bringing it up and Thank You to Bonnie Eslinger to print it and follow up with Ling La.
Web Link

on Jul 30, 2015 at 11:45 pm

San Mateo County residents/ voters need to see how these officials are out of control, what more information needs to be given.
SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN personnel have taken our tax dollars and settled a Whistleblower case.
Ms. Ling La is a courageous person for coming forward.

I had asked the new C.E.O. of SAMTRANS/ CALTRAIN in March of 2015 a direct question regarding the 3 accountants that came forward.
After the press conference, one of the C.E.O.'s aides said in a very stern voice how dare you ask that question and your facts are wrong.
I said in a calm voice (and also remained in my chair) my facts are correct.
After he walked away from me I quietly left the press room.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BI38Ml_Itw

Posted by Doug
on Jul 31, 2015 at 10:09 am

Web Link

Freedom of information act shows $2.5 million dollars. The facts are clear.

on Jul 31, 2015 at 6:50 pm

We as the voters,residents & taxpayers should all ask to see the San Mateo County District Attorneys office closed investigation.
This investigation is closed due to Ms. Ling La's settlement.
I challenge all to call the SMC D.A.'s office to see this closed investigation, I bet not one person will be allowed to view this investigation on SAMTRANS/ CALTRAIN.

on Jul 31, 2015 at 6:59 pm

The SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN is a closed investigation, can not be viewed by the public.
It is protected by California Code 6254F.
Why are the powers at be using this code?
Remember, Ms. Ling La's case was settled by SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN in the month and year of June 2015 .

on Jul 31, 2015 at 7:50 pm

You would think the District Attorney's Office would be happy to show the public the SamTrans Fraud Investigation that gave them the evidence that no crime was committed.

At least that is what Steve Wagstaffe told the public.

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Aug 1, 2015 at 7:37 am

Menlo Voter is a registered user.

Just another in a long list of lies by Wagstaffe.

on Aug 1, 2015 at 8:03 am

My e-mail to San Mateo County District Attorney Inspector John Warren.

View SamTrans Fraud investigation Files

Michael Stogner Jul 23
To
John Warren

Hello John,

Would it be be possible for me to view the Samtans files next week from 9-12 Monday and Wednesday.

Michael Stogner

Posted by Thought
a resident of Menlo Park: Felton Gables
on Aug 2, 2015 at 1:42 am

Can someone sue to see the files from the DA's office through the Freedom of Information act? There are organizations that assist people in filing theses requests.

1 person likes this
on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:46 am

Thought asks can someone sue to see the files. Yes

I was surprised that John Warren referred my request to County Counsel, instead of just telling me himself. Think about it County Counsel is paid by the taxpayers, The DA's Office and the SamTrans Officials are all paid by the Taxpayers. Jayme Ackemann SMC manager John Maltbie's daughter says they are going to fight this lawsuit with everything etc of course they are, translation with Taxpayer Money, not hers.

What are the odds that 4 people Ling La, Linda MacIntyre, David Ramires and Nitsan Pashut would say fraud.

Prosecutorial Misconduct can also be when an investigation determines crimes have been committed and the DA says no crime occurred case closed.

on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:50 am

Ling La, Linda MacIntyre, David Ramires and Nitsan Pashut

Web Link

on Aug 19, 2015 at 11:58 pm

During this election year, do not forget about Supervisor Carole Groom's statement about Ms. Ling La.
I know this election cycle has nothing to do with Supervisor Carole Groom being elected, but watch out who she supports.

on Aug 24, 2015 at 4:57 pm

It is amazing that once a settlement is made by our officials in California , "WE THE PEOPLE", can not see what our taxes paid off.
This is in reference to the SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN settlement.
"WE THE PEOPLE", can not see the closed investigation on SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN, San Mateo County District Attorney Wagstaffe is using California Code 6254F.
Our tax dollars have been used to settle the case out of court, Ms. Ling La settled in June 2015.
My questions that I have can not be answered, because this settlement is sealed.
This is not a new tactic that our officials use.

on Aug 24, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Web Link

SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN settlement with Ms. Ling La.
If this code is hard to follow, join the rest of us.
California Code 6254F.
This is the code San Mateo County District Attorney Wagstaffe has used to keep the investigation from us taxpayers/residents.

on Aug 25, 2015 at 7:37 am

My e-mail to San Mateo County District Attorney Inspector John Warren.

View SamTrans Fraud investigation Files

I can't find anywhere that Steve Wagstaffe used the words Fraud or Investigation in describing whatever he did regarding SamTrans and the 6 accountants.

Fraud Investigation were the words I used and it looks like I was wrong.

Inquiry is the word Steve Wagstaffe used.

I think the PUBLIC has a right to see the INQUIRY files that they paid for.

on Aug 25, 2015 at 7:57 am

Ling La's partial e-mail to Kevin Raffaelli.
March 3, 2014

Lastly we are requesting your office to turn over or refer Samtrans matter to State Attorney General if your office has any conflict of interest with Samtrans Board of Directors and management.

I had already sent the Board of Supervisors and District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe 3 e-mails requesting SMC refer the Investigation my word Inquiry Mr. Wagstaffe's word, due to the appearance of a Conflict of Interest.

Steve Wagstaffe, Mike Scanlon, Carole Groom, Adrienne Tissier Don Horsley all members of Service League of San Mateo County a non profit.

Posted by Try this
a resident of Woodside: other
on Aug 25, 2015 at 1:09 pm

First Amendment Coalition has a free legal hotline to help citizens with things like FOIA requests. I've used them and they are good:

First Amendment Coalition

The First Amendment Coalition is an award-winning, nonprofit public interest organization dedicated to advancing free speech, more open and accountable government, and public participation in civic affairs.

Our activities include:
• free one-on-one legal consultations for journalists, activists, academics and ordinary individuals frustrated in the exercise of their First Amendment rights;

- See more at: Web Link

on Aug 26, 2015 at 4:44 pm

We need to put pressure on our State of California elected officials, they can change such codes as California Code 6254F.

on Aug 26, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Michael G. Stogner is a registered user.

Mark,

"We the residents should be able to view closed investigations, i.e. SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN, when it comes to our taxes paying off settlements."

This was not an Investigation, it was an Inquiry.

October 18, 2013 PADP
Wagstaffe "This is not an investigation but an Inquiry."

So this is a closed Inquiry, with no crimes found that the public can't see.

on Aug 26, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Inquiry---The act of inquiring; a seeking for information by asking questions; interrogation; a question or questioning.

Investigation--The act of inquiring; a seeking for information by asking questions; interrogation; a question or questioning.
The 2 definitions are from Webster.

San Mateo County D.A. Wagstaffe called it an inquiry. I stand corrected.

on Aug 27, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Inquiry---a seeking or request for truth, information, or knowledge.

Investigation-the act or process of investigating or the condition of being investigated. A searching inquiry for ascertaining facts; detailed or careful examination.
From DICTIONARY.COM

What is the Law definition of Inquiry & Investigation?

San Mateo County D.A. Wagstaffe needs to explain.

on Aug 27, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Does anybody really believe our District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe and Kevin Raffaelli didn't find a crime was committed?

Think about it, SIX Accountants said FRAUD.

ONE DA says no crime, case closed and nobody can view my work. Not very Transparent

Posted by Transparency
on Aug 27, 2015 at 9:44 pm

It's too bad we don't have more active investigative journalists in the area. This isn't knocking the Almanac; I realize it's a neighborhood/community oriented paper, but in a major city, a newspaper would be probably suing under FOIA or the Public Records Act to compel some disclosure here.

Does the public have a right to know the publicly funded agencies are doing wrongful things with public money? OF COURSE. Obviously.

And it just makes sense that if Wagstaffe could say his inquiry/investigation resulted in a clearance, he would.

It's really a shame. I'm waiting for some of the usual bullies to start knocking Stogner or DePaula, stating that Wagstaffe ran unopposed, etc. But honestly, shouldn't the public know (and CARE) that their hard earned tax dollars are being misused and there's a coverup of it?

Posted by Try this
a resident of Woodside: other
on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:31 am

When a San Mateo agency refused to divulge their financials per my .FOIA request , an attorney on the free legal hotline at the First amendment Coalition was very helpful and told me that the agency had no legal right to withhold it and gave me the name of an attorney who could help. I strongly urge Mr. Stogner or Mr DePaula to contact the First Amendment Coalition.

I would also be interested to know if the Almanac has filed a FOIA request to see the records

on Aug 30, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Web Link
Please watch the above video regarding the below information.

I asked the new C.E.O. of SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN if he will ask the F.B.I. & D.O.J. to investigate the $2.5 million dollars, three accountants came forward to report the hidden monies.
New C.E.O. Jim Hartnett replies to my question, I do not adopt your facts.

on Aug 31, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Corruption is being exposed throughout the United States, maybe San Mateo County residents will look at our politicians and appointed officials.
SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN is a good start.

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Aug 31, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Menlo Voter is a registered user.

Don't hold your breath Mark. The sheeple of SMC have shown themselves to be particularly insensitive to corruption in their county.

Posted by Sheep rights
a resident of Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
on Aug 31, 2015 at 7:19 pm

"sheeple"

There should be a corollary award to the Godwin for "sheeple".

Perhaps rule 36? 34 and 35 certainly are true.

Either way, you lost.

on Aug 31, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Hello Menlo Voter.
Watch my 2 minute 46 second video below, I asked the new C.E.O. of SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN if he would ask the F.B.I. and D.O.J. to investigate the 2.5 million dollars that were hidden in dummy accounts. Ling La & 2 other accountants from SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN brought forward.
Web Link
Ms. Ling La got a settlement from us residents/ taxpayers of San Mateo County, our new C.E.O. has promoted former C.F.O. Gigi Harrington to deputy C.E.O.
C.F.O.Harrington was one of the 2 that had hidden money called--Gigi's bucket.

How can San Mateo County residents not see the truth.

14 hours ago

It's amazing that the former C.E.O. of SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN and current C.E.O. have pulled a real magic trick over residents,taxpayers and riders of 3 Counties.
Former C.F.O. Gigi Harrington is now deputy C.E.O. She was one of 2 that had a dummy account called Gigi's bucket.
San Mateo, Santa Clara and San Francisco are the 3 Counties that SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN serves, or does the residents and riders serve SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN?

Posted by Menlo Voter
13 hours ago

Menlo Voter is a registered user.

sheep rights:

I'm not trying to "win" anything. If you don't like being called a sheep, don't act like one.

53 minutes ago

I had a phone conversation with Mark Simon of SAMTRANS/CALTRAIN today, September 1, 2015. Mr. Simon told me that the article written in the Palo Alto Daily Post was wrong;Gigi Harrington has been deputy C.E.O. for 6 years.