Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Oct 8, 2008
I don't know Mr Lokey, but I was so moved his recent $75 million donation that I had to find a way to send him my gratitude and thanks. And thus I am writing it here.
My husband died of ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease this year. He was only 62. Sadly, my husband's father also died of ALS in 2002. And my husband's grandfather died of ALS in the 1950s. Many people don't know ALS is hereditary in about 10% of its victims. But regardless of whether it is sporadic or hereditary, it is a horrible, terminal disease.
Stem cell research is the only hope for people facing this disease. Although scientists have been studying ALS since the 1930s, there is still not a single treatment or cure. Mr Lokey's donation to the Standford Medical Center for stem cell research goes beyond the definition of a gift. It defines life itself.
Especially for families like mine, who now face an uncertain future. Will this horrible disease present itself again in our son? Or can some breakthough in medical research give us hope? Thank you Mr. Lokey. What else can I say.
Wonderful generosity that can make a huge difference. Thank you, Mr. Lokey.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Continuation of Office Cap Discussion
By Steve Levy | 19 comments | 3,488 views
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 2 comments | 2,495 views
Ramen shop replaces Muracciís in Los Altos
By Elena Kadvany | 11 comments | 2,358 views
"Itís Not About the Nail"
By Chandrama Anderson | 5 comments | 1,785 views
Now Playing - Your Dinner!
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 662 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2015 The Almanac
All rights reserved.