Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Jul 1, 2011
Will they be building separate, private, facilities in the new library for people to view pornography?
As I understand it, the library's operator, Peninsula Library System, does not filter pornography. I'm not sure if this is unique to Atherton or across their entire system. Apparently, it is a constitutional right to view porn at the library.
The result is the library attracts non-residents who don't have the financial means to access the Internet in private, at home.
If you allow pornography in the workplace, you get sued for creating a hostile work environment. But, at the library, you get sued for violating a first amendment right if you prevent access. We can't seem to get of our own way sometimes.
Who wants to take their kids to reading hour at the library and risk the possibility they will be exposed to inappropriate material? Is this the community gathering place the advocates envision??
If we're determined to spend the $5 million on a new white elephant in Holbrook Palmer Park, let's make sure it has a "dirty book store" section which is restricted to adults only.
It is my understanding they will go from 6 computer stations to 17 in a separate room. Aside from the pitch it will be a community center I think a study showed over 80% of people in Atherton has their own computers. So why put computers in there anyway with my tax money so non-Atherton people can use computers in the Park?
Sort of crazy madam librarian.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Teavana Palo Alto closes
By Elena Kadvany | 3 comments | 1,789 views
USA - United Stuffed of America
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 1,725 views
Sometimes the Rules Go Out the Window
By Cheryl Bac | 5 comments | 1,361 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2015 The Almanac
All rights reserved.