Posted by AV, a resident of the Atherton: other neighborhood, on Oct 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm
Comments and questions from earlier postings:
It would appear from the Town's agenda posting that the library in the Park issue has hit a few speed bumps. First, the Council is considering resuming rentals at the Park facilities through 2012 indicating they need the money and that the project will not start soon. The Library Site Selection Committee has recommended in a just published report that the Town Council proceed with the Park Library site. No surprise here since the committee is packed with appointees who are not independent but picked for their pro-Park library stance. However they have been seriously delayed because the Town Attorney has ruled a full is EIR is required under CEQA because their is considerable "public controversy". The Committee did not like this and has asked for outside legal opinion. Basically the project is off the table while EIR is done.
On another front a large group of Atherton residents (over 200) has petitioned the Town to commission a study of creating a master plan for the new Town Center area which would include a library site in the complex. The petition to add discussion was denied by Mayor Dobbie and discussion will not take place at this Wednesdays meeting. However, this group will submit a new petition to require the Council call a Special Meeting on this subject.
It would appear that there is significant opposition to the Library in the Park proposal and maybe the group within the Council will realize that they cannot railroad this through.
Questions the council should answer:
1.With all the recreation resources, school events, and Country Clubs nearby and few people attending events in the Park, why does the town need a community center? Who is going to staff it?
2. With libraries at Menlo College, Menlo School, M-A School, Sacred Heart, St. Joseph, Selby, and Menlo Library close by; why does Atherton need a bigger library?
3. Since this is a Regional Library how many additional cars a day will come into Atherton?
4. Why did members of the council oppose the M-A Preforming Arts Center and Cargill project for increasing traffic in Atherton and they do not oppose a Regional Library?
5. If a Library in the Park does not need additional Parking spaces, then do we currently have parking spaces we can convert to green space?
6. How many user visits a year does the county forecast for the new library?
7. What percent of user visits come from Atherton?
8. Could funds be given to Menlo College or Selby as a library partnership?
9. Will there be a problem during the Winter, when the park is closed after dark and the library is open?