Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Mar 2, 2008
No, but typos really turn me off.
Thank you, Truth. For readers who don't understand Truth's comment, he/she spotted a typo in the original headline, which was then fixed. Now that we're grammatically and typographically correct, we welcome your response to the question.
yes, absolutely. my purchase decisions are heavily weighted by the values of the companies behind the products.
Yes, within reason. My son hates Walmart and we refuse to shop there when at home. He is now away at college and the only store accessible to him is Walmart. With no car and no bus service to anywhere else he has to put his principles aside and shop there.
I also boycott Wal-Mart despite being a shareholder.
I don't buy Dole products.
If I find out about a company's bad behavior or harmful practices, I won't do business with it. I hear there are publications that list socially irresponsible companies that might be good candidates for consumer boycotts and other pressure, but I haven't sought them out yet. (Maybe that makes me socially irresponsible.)
Regarding Walmart, I don't shop there and encourage others not to. Unfortunately, we don't have to shop there to be their (unwilling) benefactors. Our taxes pay for the food stamps and other benefits for the poor that Walmart employees have to rely on to survive.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Cho's Los Altos finally opens
By Elena Kadvany | 25 comments | 4,894 views
College Touring Tips
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 4 comments | 4,164 views
Eggs and Bacon Walk Into a Bar
By Laura Stec | 5 comments | 1,349 views
Blood on the Tracks
By Paul Bendix | 5 comments | 989 views
Gifts (that are not bought)
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 790 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2015 The Almanac
All rights reserved.