Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Jun 1, 2008
If passed, Measure O is expected to provide approximately $634,000 a year for 25 years to the Mid-Peninsula Regional Open Space District (MROSD).
MROSD already sucks more than $7,000,000/yr from San Mateo County South in property taxes.
I have suggested that this alien agency be detached from San Mateo County.
I've got a better idea, Jack.
Why don't you put down the poison pen, take a little break from railing against publicly-funded EVERYTHING, and take a nature walk in one of the county's fabulous open space preserves. It might clear your head and improve your disposition.
Open space enriches us all.
Sales taxes are the classic example of a "regressive" tax, one that tends to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. When I was young -- pre-Ronald Reagan -- all of California, state-wide, kept the sales tax down to a tolerable 5%. Reagan was the first to crank that up, followed by the Bay Area's own vampiric transit agency, BART, and every little county with a funding problem.
8.25% out of almost every dollar we spend to (e.g.) feed ourselves was and is already outrageous. 8.375% would have made a bad situation just that much worse. I'm glad the voters agreed.
Speaking as a poor person, I'm a frequent user of the (free) park facilities in San Mateo County. I can't afford to buy much, but I'd be willing to pay an extra 1/8 cent sales tax to help with the upkeep of these wonderful community resources.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
A Love Script? A Dyadic Encounter
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 2,032 views
USA - United Stuffed of America
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 1,650 views
Sometimes the Rules Go Out the Window
By Cheryl Bac | 5 comments | 1,246 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2015 The Almanac
All rights reserved.