Public employee pension reform - what can and should be done?
Original post made by peter carpenter, Atherton: Lindenwood, on Mar 23, 2011
1) We start with the assumption that the present public employee defined benefit systems, particularly with low retirement thresholds of 3% at age 50, are unsustainable
2) Both the employing government agencies and the public employee unions collaborated to create, perhaps unintentionally, the current unsustainable system
3) It solves nothing to attack individual public service employees
4) It does nothing to attack other posters as opposed to challenging their ideas and opinions
5) We can build a better system and we must.
I have NOT restricted comments to registered users in the hope that more people will participate in this discussion and that all that do so will be respectful of each other.