Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Mar 13, 2012
I applaud the City Council for taking the initiative in considering a ban on plastic bags in Menlo Park. This is indeed good news, and environmentally responsible.
As a past volunteer for Wildlife Rescue, I have witnessed first-hand the tragedy of birds and turtles dying from either ingesting or getting caught up in these lethal traps.
In a perfect world, we would all dispose of plastic bags responsibly, but we only need to take a walk along our ocean or lakefront shores, or drive down our freeways to see that this scenario is far from reality. Even for those who dispose of plastic bags in a responsible fashion are forced to place them with the regular trash since they are not considered recyclable. Then where do the bags go?
I agree with charging for paper bags. Paper comes from our valuable forests, and even recycled paper costs money and resources to process.
Finally, I agree with prohibiting Styrofoam containers that don't degrade, and are harmful to the very wildlife we have the responsibility of protecting.
WE OWE IT TO OURSELVES AND WILDLIFE TO BAN BOTH PLASTIC BAGS AND STYROFOAM, AND REDUCE THE USE OF PAPER BAGS!
Please take a moment to view the informative link here on plastic bag statistics.
Say NO to plastic bags!
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Continuation of Office Cap Discussion
By Steve Levy | 17 comments | 3,128 views
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 2,320 views
Ramen shop replaces Muracciís in Los Altos
By Elena Kadvany | 10 comments | 2,125 views
"Itís Not About the Nail"
By Chandrama Anderson | 3 comments | 1,656 views
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 1,201 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2015 The Almanac
All rights reserved.