Town Square

Firefighters douse fire at their own station

Original post made on Aug 7, 2008

A firefighter, rushing to respond to a medical emergency, apparently bumped a magnetically attached lamp at his bed, and a bulb started a mattress fire Wednesday.

This story contains 390 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.


Like this comment
Posted by Mike Dayoub
a resident of another community
on Aug 7, 2008 at 9:25 am

Glad minimal damage. I'm developing a SmokeShutoff power strip designed to detect smoke and then shut off whatever is plugged into it. So if those firefighters were out on a call it would have turned off the lamp, maybe before flames erupted.

I've blogged on my website tons of fires my power strip could have prevented, including many fires caused by fallen lamps.

Sooner or later I'm going to find a manufacturer who recognizes the market and applications for this.

Mike Dayoub

Like this comment
Posted by PA Resident
a resident of another community
on Aug 7, 2008 at 1:35 pm


Great idea. There would be a great market for these particularly in high tech offices which leave equipment running overnight for simulations, etc.

Good luck.

Like this comment
Posted by Brian
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Aug 8, 2008 at 7:55 am

Two words "three stooges". I see a promising career for him at the sheriffs office.