Poisonous mushrooms kill dogs
Original post made on Mar 8, 2012
Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, March 8, 2012, 11:27 AM
on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm
A year ago, our 4 month old puppy ingested a "death cap" mushroom and died. So we know first hand how awful this can be. We didn't realize what had happened until it was too late. Our puppy had been out playing in our yard, and it wasn't until 6-8 hours later that symptoms appeared. Tragically, once symptoms appear in death cap mushroom cases, it's all over. He suffered severe liver failure, and we had to put him down.
Death cap mushrooms are one of the most poisonous mushrooms in the world and account for the most deaths. Beyond pets, children are also at risk for poisoning. The issue for residents of Menlo Park and its environs is that these mushrooms grow naturally in our area, often under oak trees. Although the lack of wet weather has stymied the growth of these mushrooms, they are still out there. In fact, you can see these mushrooms just outside the fence of the Neylon Park dog park, a few yards from the entrance. The link below will give you a good idea of what these mushrooms look like. They are quite distinctive. Web Link
Many of us have oak trees in our yards and need to be especially vigilant.
on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm
I lost my sweet Donato, a Bernese Mt. Dog pup when he was barely 6 months old to a Death Cap Mushroom. Since then it's been my mission to give Donato a legacy and to inform people. I really don't want anyone to go thru what we did.
I started by putting up posters and now I'm talking at dog clubs and puppy classes. Recently I produced Mushroom Alert Card and started a blog. I am so impressed that after another recent death local pet sitters are asking to get the cards to pass on to their clients.
Here's the blog... www.Mushrooms911.blogspot.com There is information and links.
I'm so pleased to see this article....and also just this evening I participated in a story that Channel 5 is doing on mushroom toxicity.
Please, check your yards for mushrooms. Pick them (...and don't let your dog see you doing it), bag them and throw them out. I know there are a lot of good mushrooms and they serve the environment...but in my backyard I need to know my dog is safe.
on Mar 12, 2012 at 6:22 pm
Other common dog killers are Antifreeze leaking from your car and
Dark chocolate, Acetaminophen (Tylenol).
Protect your pets!