Menlo Park fire district election: Carolyn Clarke releases answers to union questionnaire
Original post made on Oct 30, 2013
Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 11:15 AM
on Oct 30, 2013 at 2:22 pm
So could one postulate that Mr. Nelson is the labor rep at the table? "no reason not to have 'Safety Personnel' represented...." Unfortunately, he forgets that the chief officers are safety personnel as well. Not sure where he thinks labor should be represented. They're at the bargaining table, but I don't know any businesses which include a labor rep on the board of directors or in management groups.
If Mr. Nelson is so gung ho for labor, one has to wonder how he can also represent the electorate. You can't serve 2 masters.
on Oct 30, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Peter Carpenter is a registered user.
Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Oct 29, 2013 at 2:41 pm
Peter Carpenter is a registered user.
The union sent me the questionnaire, which I declined to respond to and did NOT ask that I keep the questions confidential.
Here is my exchange with the union followed by the questionnaire that I received:
From: Peter Carpenter
Subject: Re: San Mateo Labor Council Endorsement Process
Date: August 15, 2013 11:52:08 AM PDT
Thank you for your invitation but I do not wish to be interviewed or endorsed by the labor council.
Since there will (hopefully) be a new firefighter's contract negotiated with the Fire District during the forthcoming term, I can understand that it is in the labor union's interest to have Fire District Directors who you think will serve your interests. Similarly, an endorsement by a labor union for an election that will be immediately followed by labor negotiations carries with it the appearance of a conflict of interest.
If elected I will be committed to serve the interests of the citizens of the District. In a democratic society the choice of elected officials is properly the responsibility of the voters and not that of a small special interest group.
On Aug 15, 2013, at 11:36 AM, Julie Lind wrote:
Thank you for making the decision to seek elected office this November. Attached please find the endorsement questionnaire for the San Mateo Labor Council. Completion of the questionnaire is a requirement for anyone interested in being considered for endorsement. The questionnaire is due no later than 5pm on Friday, August 23rd. The interview for your race will be held Tuesday, September 3rd from 5:30PM + 6:00PM at the CA Teachers Association Offices (333 Hatch Dr., Foster City). Please let me know if you'll be able to attend, and feel free to call with any questions. Best of luck!
Julie Lind, Political Director
San Mateo County Central Labor Council
650-572-8848 office/650-572-2481 fax
Menlo Park Firefighters' Association
District 10 of Local 2400, I.A.F.F
P.O. Box 534 Menlo Park, CA 94026-0534
And here is the union questionnaire:
SAN MATEO LABOR COUNCIL
FIRE DISTRICT QUESTIONNAIRE
Office You're Seeking_______________________________________
Phone (work) ___ (home) ____(E-Mail)________
PPC ID # (if not available, then Treasurer's Full Name)
Profession Employer (if any)
Have you ever been a union member? If "Yes", which union, and any role or office you held:
What other elected or appointed offices prior to this election have you held/pursued?
* * * * * *
1. A. What are your goals and issue priorities for the Fire District? What do you think the issues are in this election?
B. Are you running with, or do you share the same views as, another candidate? If Yes, whom/what views?
2. What distinguishes your goals and priorities from those of other candidates in this election?
3. Why do you want to be on the Fire District Board?
4. What experience and/or education make you qualified to serve the Fire District?
5. To what extent do you feel the Fire District should be involved the day-to-day operations of the Fire Department?
6. A. Describe the role of the Fire Chief, as you see it___________________________________
B. What expectations would you have for him/her? _____________________________________
7. Do you have any ideas of alternative revenue sources for the Fire District? ___________________________________
8. The Cost of providing the community with the best service is expensive, and rising. How would you propose balancing the increasing costs with limited funds? __________________________________________________
9. What is your view point on consolidation of Fire service? On contracting them out? _______________________________________
10. Do you actively support the fundamental right of miscellaneous (non-Public Safety) employees of the Fire District to organize and collectively bargain with the District regarding their wages, hours and working conditions through the union of their choice?
(If No) What is your reason for opposition? ____________________________________________________________________
11. Would you cross an organized labor picket line?
12. Would you support an organized labor boycott?
13. Do you support the right of workers to form or join a union?
14. If elected, would you be willing to use your public stature to support union organizing?
15. Would you support the use of binding arbitration to settle economic disputes between management and labor?
If No, Why?
16. What community organizations are you a member of?
17. Please list the endorsements you have received or are seeking:
Endorsements Received: Endorsements Seeking:
18. If you were to be endorsed by the Labor Council, what three labor issues would you want our members to know you have strong feelings about?_____________________________________
19. Briefly discuss your campaign strategy for getting elected (i.e. fundraising, campaign targets, endorsements, number of votes needed to win, etc.)
20. Do you have any additional comments regarding your campaign? _________________________
21. I have carefully reviewed this questionnaire and I attest that all of my responses are true and accurate.
Please return to: Julie Lind
San Mateo Labor Council - C.O.P.E.
1153 Chess Drive, Suite #200, Foster City, CA 94404
Telephone: (650) 572-8848
FAX (650) 572-2481
opeiu 3 afl-cio 174
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:46 pm
Peter how many times do you have to post the same thing?? We get it. Tow about moving the discussion along???