MA Pop Warner opens youth football season
Original post made on Sep 4, 2012
Read the full story here Web Link posted Saturday, September 1, 2012, 4:29 PM
on Sep 4, 2012 at 11:28 am
A great weekend on the gridiron at St Francis for the Vikings, as MA Pop Warner opened their 14th season!
All five MA Viking youth football teams performed well in the opening weekend of Peninsula Pop Warner Division I action. A quick synopsis by age group:
- Tiny Mites: the instructional level group for 5 -7 year olds was it's usual joy to watch as both teams romped to a number of scores. Special kudos to young Harold Atkins Jr for running the action in Coach Dave Bragg's absence. Harold then went upstairs and announced the last two games of the afternoon!
- Mitey Mites: the 7-9 year old group is also an instructional (non-playoff) level. Coach Rahsaan Dean's young lads bounced back from an tough exhibition game last week to post an outstanding 30-6 victory over the East Bay Warriors (Oakland.)
- Jr PeeWees: had a tough opening game against the EBW JPW's, falling 19-0. The Viking team of 10 and 11 year olds is looking forward to this week and returning to their winning level of play shown last week in their exhibition victory over Gilroy.
- PeeWees: Coach Harold Atkins, Sr, and team followed in his son's earlier footsteps with a solid trouncing of EBW, 32-0, at the 11-12 year old level.
- Jr Midgets: the 2012 Jr Midgets, is comprised of many of the Pop Warner National Championship contender PeeWee team from last season, along with a number of outstanding newcomers. They continued their winning ways with a solid victory on Sunday, posting a 29-0 win over the East Bay Wildcats. How strong are is this group of 12 and 13 year olds? Only time and a strong Division I schedule will tell!
This week, your MA Vikings travel to meet the Berkeley Jr Bears on Saturday, at historic Oakland Tech. The series of youth games begins at 8am, in sight of Oakland Tech's classic architecture (main building built in 1914.)
The MA Vikings return to the friendly confines of MA High School next week, with games on Sunday, Sept 16.
LET'S GO VIKINGS!!
on Sep 4, 2012 at 1:43 pm
go Vikings!! My son had a great time playing Pop Warner. Best sport in which he participated and the one he talks most about (other than HS sports.) Good memories.