Local schools take safety precautions
Original post made
on Dec 17, 2012
Local schools reacted quickly to reassure parents they are taking precautions to prevent a tragedy like the one that happened at a Connecticut elementary school on Dec. 14.
==B ■ Talking to children about tragic events.==]
Read the full story here Web Link
posted Sunday, December 16, 2012, 10:33 PM
Posted by willy
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 21, 2012 at 10:28 am
willy is a registered user.
Menlo Voter said: "So they felt the citizens should be as well armed as the military. The military then carried muskets. The military now carries fully automatic assault rifles. We are allowed to own something that's close to what the military carries."
While I may disagree with the last part of that, the current Supreme Court *definitely* disagrees with that statement ("We are allowed to own something that's close...") No, sir. Not true. I can't have something close, whether a tank, RPG or a nuke. And I shouldn't have assault weaponry.
SCOTUS (Scalia's majority opinion, Heller): "We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those "in common use at the time." We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of "dangerous and unusual weapons.""
So there ya go, if we'll ignore SCOTUS and go with Menlo Voter's interpretation, that means if I'm to have a militia with equal access to weapons, I'll start with sufficient defensive weaponry to repel bombers and tanks: TOW missiles, surface-to-air missiles and machine guns, to start. Then go shopping at Littlefield's for some old hardware...
Yippee. What could possibly go wrong with sufficient self defense armaments? As Country Joe said: "Open up the pearly gates, Well there ain't no time to wonder why... Whoopee! we're all gonna die." Web Link
Or we can once again constitutionally outlaw assault weaponry.
Not a difficult choice. Outlaw high cap mags/clips, assault rifles. Mandate waiting periods and background checks for all purchases.
- Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06, female
- Daniel Barden, 9/25/05, male
- Olivia Engel, 7/18/06, female
- Josephine Gay, 12/11/05, female
- Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06, female
- Dylan Hockley, 3/8/06, male
- Madeleine F. Hsu, 7/10/06, female
- Catherine V. Hubbard, 6/08/06, female
- Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05, male
- Jesse Lewis, 6/30/06, male
- James Mattioli , 3/22/06, male
- Grace McDonnell, 12/04/05, female
- Emilie Parker, 5/12/06, female
- Jack Pinto, 5/06/06, male
- Noah Pozner, 11/20/06, male
- Caroline Previdi, 9/07/06, female
- Jessica Rekos, 5/10/06, female
- Avielle Richman, 10/17/06, female
- Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06, male
- Allison N. Wyatt, 7/03/06, female
Doesn't 2005 seem like just yesterday? For the above victims, that was the entirety of their full life. For their families, the pain will last through their lifetime.
- Victoria Soto, 11/04/85, female
- Lauren Rousseau, 6/1982, female
- Mary Sherlach, 2/11/56, female
- Anne Marie Murphy, 07/25/60, female
- Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65, female
- Rachel Davino, 7/17/83, female
There were two others that died that day, of course.
Since the Sandy Hook tragedy, 80 more Americans have died by gunshot.