http://almanacnews.com/square/print/index.php?i=3&d=&t=977


Town Square

Downtown fire caused by electrical short

Original post made on Oct 22, 2007

The awning at the former Dal Baffo restaurant at 848 Santa Cruz Ave. in downtown Menlo Park now has a 30-foot gap in the middle and charred edges after a short in a photo-electric sensor -- meant to light a real estate sign -- set it ablaze on Monday, Oct. 22, shortly after 9:30 a.m.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, October 22, 2007, 11:37 AM

Comments

 +   Like this comment
Posted by wondering
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Oct 22, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Did this sign receive city approval? The fire could have done a lot of damage!


 +   Like this comment
Posted by InquiringMindsWantToKnow
a resident of Menlo Park: Downtown
on Oct 22, 2007 at 9:14 pm

Wondering:
Perhaps you should ask Dick Poe - it was his supersized sign, after all.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by BuildingInspector
a resident of Menlo Park: Downtown
on Oct 23, 2007 at 10:56 am

It's unfortunate that it happened, and fortunate that it wasn't worse that it was.

Was the electrical work done with city permits? And with a licensed contractor?


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Mike Grossman
a resident of Menlo Park: other
on Oct 23, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Dal Baffo ? A Fire?
Gee! Never would have thought!!