Briefs: Readers' Choice voters win prizesThe names of voters in The Almanac's 2010 Readers' Choice poll were entered in a drawing for prizes. And the winners are ...
• Camille Zolopa, Menlo Park, five yoga classes at Be Yoga and Wellness.
• Tom Little, Palo Alto, $50 gift certificate to Bistro Maxine.
• James Vera, Palo Alto, $50 gift certificate to Tai Pan Chinese Cuisine.
• Amanda Bower, Menlo Park, $50 gift certificate to Cafe Zoe.
• Marie Barry, Menlo Park, $50 gift certificate to Cafe Zoe.
• Lynne Gaffikin, Woodside, gift certificate to TheatreWorks.
• Lisa Spitz, Menlo Park, $25 gift certificate to Wahoo's.
• Ed Phillips, Menlo Park, $25 gift certificate to Wahoo's.
• Tom Ramies, Portola Valley, $10 gift certificate to Cafe Borrone.
Linear accelerator lease renewed
Stanford University and the Department of Energy will continue as partners for at least another 33 years, now that both have signed a new lease for the SLAC national accelerator laboratory in Menlo Park. The original contract was approved nearly five decades ago.
Secretary of Energy Steven Chu visited SLAC on Aug. 16 to dedicate the research facility's new laser, also known as the Linac Coherent Light Source, and said to be the world's most powerful X-ray.