Letter: A plea on behalf of pets and wildlifeThis is a warning to cat or dog owners about rat poison. We recently lost our sweet and gentle dog Rudy to what appears to be rat poisoning. He was happy and healthy, but on a recent run ate bait from a neighbor's yard and two days later became ill. Within hours he was dead despite veterinary intervention.
Rat poison usually contains warfarin which is disguised to taste good; however, when ingested, it will cause internal bleeding about 48 hours later.
We don't care if the rat dies; however, if the dog or cat or child eats the poison, they will die, and if one of our beautiful birds of prey such as an owl or raptor eats the poisoned rat, (it) will also die as the warfarin or poison is still active in the dead animal. This is called secondary kill.
Please honor our neighborhood animals and local wildlife and use alternative methods, such as the easy and effective Rat Zapper or Victor Electronic Rat Trapper, to kill only the pest you intend to kill.
Cindy Russell, Portola Valley