Runoff election: Horsley out-raises Vargas bigtime
In the run-off election for District 3 San Mateo County supervisor seat now occupied by Rich Gordon, former sheriff Don Horsley has raised more than three times as much as his opponent, business woman and Coastside resident April Vargas.
Mr. Horsley has raised a total of $249,528 and spent $403,802, according to his Oct. 16 campaign finance report. Asked in an interview about the $154,274 difference between income and expenses, Mr. Horsley noted that he has been running his campaign — and accumulating revenues — for about two years.
Of Mr. Horsley's 200 donors, 64 percent, or 128 donors, gave $500 or more, and 89 of those were for $1,000 or more. Twenty-two came from residents of The Almanac's circulation area.
Ms. Vargas raised $74,662 and her report lists expenses of $84,000. Of the 142 contributors to Ms. Vargas' campaign, 23 percent, or 33 donors, gave $500 or more, and 22 of them were for $1,000 or more. Ten live in The Almanac's circulation area.
Horsley's $500-plus donors
The following donors gave $500 or more to Mr. Horsley's campaign:
• Menlo Park residents Congresswoman Anna Eshoo, Andrea S. Braun, William T. Phillips, Steven Wagstaffe, as well as Lutticken Inc..
• Portola Valley residents Michael Berube, Thomas Fogarty, Arthur Graham, Chong-Moon Lee, Reiko-Takahashi Lee, J. Dorian McKelvy, Terese G. McKelvy, Brittany Perry and Sara A Messman Perry.
• Atherton residents Sandra Ferrando, Isaac Stein, Nariman Teymourian and James F Wickett.
• Woodside residents Catherine T. Harvey, Kevin R. Harvey, Warren R. Merrill, Dennis J Sammut and Karen Sammut.
• Palo Alto residents Larry N. Horton, J. Burton McMurtry, DeeDee McMurtry, Mario M. Rosati, Eric Wickersham, Grover T. Wickersham and Jill Wickersham.
• Redwood City residents Barnet R. Adelman, Julie Arbuckle, Justin H. Arbuckle, Philip Gregory, Elizabeth Hill, Duncan Matteson, Debra K Weiner as well as Gateway & Mitchell Properties and the San Mateo Credit Union.
• San Carlos residents Gil DeVincenzi, Michael J. King and Matthew E. Tutino; San Mateo residents Mario DeCaro, Mina K. Fisher, Joe Galligan for Treasurer, Tom Huening, Frances B. Nelson, Michael D. Nevin, Nanci E. Nishimura, William Pedrini and Stephen A Way, as well as Barulich Dugoni Law Group, Concar Enterprises, the David D. Bohannon Organization, the South County Firefighters PAC, and the Western Manufactured Housing Communities Association.
• Others: Foster City resident Preston Butcher as well as the San Mateo Building Trades Joint Council; Millbrae resident George R. Corey and Richard Holober for Community College Board; Hillsborough residents Robert Batinovich, Dr. Joseph Haggerty, Diane Pitre and Frank M. Pitre; Burlingame residents Joseph Cotchett, Nancy L. Fineman, Ara R. Jabagchourian, Niall McCarthy, Mark Molumphy, Mark A Pitre, Ina Stewart, Steven Williams and David J. Byers, as well as Putnam Toyota Scion; Sunnyvale Susan Chavez, Kirk B. McGowan, Angeles Perry and John Perry, as well as BAGG Engineers; San Francisco residents Marc D. Haberman, Mila Medina and Reull Medina; South San Francisco residents Krishana K. Patahk and Richard A Poletti, as well as Five Brothers Inc. and the Nauman Roos Chapel by the Sea; Daly City resident Gladys Callan; Sacramento's the CDF Firefighters Small Contributor PAC, the Plumbers, Steamfitters and Refrigeration Fitters, the California Apartment Association TriCounty Division, and the Western Manufactured Housing Communities Association; Los Angeles resident Nathan Fisher as well as the California Real Estate PAC; Half Moon Bay residents Robert LaMar, Robt W. Lishman, Donald O'Keefe, as well as Oscar Knows Inc.; Belmont resident Ted Taube; Emerald Hills resident Charles Carr Huggins; La Honda resident David Gollnick; San Anselmo resident A. John Murphy; San Bruno resident Rommel Medina; Pescadero resident Meredith Reynolds; Los Gatos resident Christopher L Schaffer; El Granada resident Robert H. Senz; Los Altos resident Robert L. Denebelm; Corcoran, California, resident Sandra Nordstrom; Seattle resident Michael Fleming; Nevada resident John Muller; Lemoore, California, resident Mark S. Grewal; Alameda's the Operating Engineers Local Union; Fresno's the Pipe Trades District Council; from San Mateo; Anaheim's the Trailer Ranch Association; Lombard, Illinois Veolia Transportation.
The following donors gave $500 or more to Ms. Vargas' campaign:
• Menlo Park residents Steve Blank, Robert Levenson, Brad O'Brien and Gregory Serrurier.
• Portola Valley residents Allan Brown and David Smernoff.
• Atherton residents Nancy Criley and Elizabeth Ross.
• Woodside resident Susan Lang.
• Others: Redwood City residents Marsha Cohen and Matt Leddy; Half Moon Bay residents Pamela Fisher, Lois Joseph and Dana Kimsey; Montara residents David Beck, Ann Forrister, Arthur Hofmayer, Charles Lintell, Paul Perkovic and Jeffrey Olson, Suzanne Stephanik and Eric Trefeiner; El Granada resident Jim Blanchard; Moss Beach residents Christine Mendonca, Larry Mendonca and Brigid O'Farrell; Burlingame resident Nancy Blachman; Pacifica resident Edward Carter; Piedmont resident Richard Deatley; San Carlos Green Party of San Mateo County; La Honda resident Pam Patek; Sun City West, CA resident Gloria Vargas; Los Gatos resident Mariquita West; Los Altos resident Peter LaTourrette; Oxnard: National Women's Political Caucus.